46 banjo in a 31 A v-8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

46 banjo in a 31 A v-8

Looking for some tech help.I"m building a 31 4door I got a 46 truck rear drum to drum.Cant get the drums off,do I need a puller? Also are there any spring perches available as I want to use my model A rear spring or some tech on fabrication.Thanx,Webb.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I beleive that you will need a puller on those drums and likely there is some corrosion holding you up on the drum removal. Speedway motors has the perches for using the early ford rear springs..

good luck on your project

Sam
Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 AM

46 banjo in a31 Av8

Thanx Sam,first build like this for me.Webb.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

While pullers (very expensive) are made to facilitate the removal of the rear brake drums, it usually is not required. The pullers are used in a similar manner as I have noted below. They are installed and pressure is applied by tightening the threaded stud against the end of the axle shaft. Then using a three pound sledge hammer to sharply rap the end of the stud, the tapered fit is broken loose.

There is also a special axle nut (much cheaper than the puller) available that can be used as outlined below instead of using the castellated nut.

The brake drum is tightened to the rear axle on a taper. There is a square key in the axle that aligns with a keyway in the bore of the drum.

To remove: Jack up one side so that the wheel is slightly off the ground. Back off the brake shoes adjustment. Remove the rear axle nut (it is a castellated nut) and reverse it and re-install it so that the slots are towards the center of the car. Install it so that the flat section of the nut is flush with the end of the threaded portion of the axle. Having it flush is extremely important so that when you rap the end with the sledge hammer the threads are not mushroomed. Using about a three pound sledge, rap the end of the axle/nut sharply to break the tapered fit loose. It will probably take several sharp blows. When it pops loose, remove the nut and the brake drum will slide off. Do not lose the key. There may also be a thin tapered shim. This was often used to space the brake drum away from the backing plate as wear occurred on the taper. When re-installing, torque the axle nut to 145 ft.lbs.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
While pullers (very expensive) are made to facilitate the removal of the rear brake drums, it usually is not required. The pullers are used in a similar manner as I have noted below. They are installed and pressure is applied by tightening the threaded stud against the end of the axle shaft. Then using a three pound sledge hammer to sharply rap the end of the stud, the tapered fit is broken loose.

There is also a special axle nut (much cheaper than the puller) available that can be used as outlined below instead of using the castellated nut.

The brake drum is tightened to the rear axle on a taper. There is a square key in the axle that aligns with a keyway in the bore of the drum.

To remove: Jack up one side so that the wheel is slightly off the ground. Back off the brake shoes adjustment. Remove the rear axle nut (it is a castellated nut) and reverse it and re-install it so that the slots are towards the center of the car. Install it so that the flat section of the nut is flush with the end of the threaded portion of the axle. Having it flush is extremely important so that when you rap the end with the sledge hammer the threads are not mushroomed. Using about a three pound sledge, rap the end of the axle/nut sharply to break the tapered fit loose. It will probably take several sharp blows. When it pops loose, remove the nut and the brake drum will slide off. Do not lose the key. There may also be a thin tapered shim. This was often used to space the brake drum away from the backing plate as wear occurred on the taper. When re-installing, torque the axle nut to 145 ft.lbs.
Ahhhh glad you found that - I looked for a decent write up as that is the only method I ever used.

The only thing I could add is to spray a little P-B Blaster or similar penetrant 24-48 hours before - then whang it.

One question to the OP - why are you using this particular diff. ? I understand about the springs and open drive shaft. It just wont absorb much additional horsepower if you are doing anything but a warm flat head. Curiosity only, not a criticism

Dave W
Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 AM

46 banjo in model A

Thanx Frisco and Dave.Yes I"m using a 51 merc flathead 3spd w/ od.I might look into a gm t-5,not sure yet.Still slowly progressing on body&frame work.Webb.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Webb - good luck with the build. What are you doing with that motor? And as far as the OD - if it's an old Ford, from experience -they are tender. I totally blew the bottom off one as well as destroyed several others internally. But "way back then", they were cheap. That T-5 (or even a top loader) sounds like a better idea. Of course, that's only personal opinion (and ancient experiences)

Dave W
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM

Dave , I"m thankful for any and all ancient experience.I do have 2 trans but would really like to use a top load or t-5.Just looks better than side shift,Thanx.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.