46 Coupe steering swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

46 Coupe steering swap

Does anyone know of an easy steering box/column swap for a '46 Chevy Coupe? I'm keeping the original suspension; manual steering is okay, power would be nice... Only reason to replace the box is that it is worn out with alot of play in it.

Any ideas? Thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 04:21 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

The easiest swap is to just replace the box with another. Kanter should have a new one and I have a used one in the free speech auction.

I think I remember people having success using a box from a Vega too.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM

For those that may be interested, I found a power steering conversion kit in The Filling Station that includes bracketing, pitman arm & instructions to mount a late model Saginaw 525 manual or 605 power steering box in 39-48 Chevy cars

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000014x
Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 PM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

I just read recently that the 605's have problems with leaks. Might be the cheap chinese knockoffs though.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 AM

Hey Bluesman, I know you're installing a MII suspension on your coupe. Does the original suspension come off fairly easy? If I can put together a low buck MII setup for my '46, I may go that route.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

The TCI IFS I have is a bolt on unit with some welding. The old stuff unbolts but if I wasn't trying to save it I would have used a sawzall on much of it.

I have heard of an IFS that is a complete bolt on but even if you don't have a welding machine, getting a mobile welder off of Craigslist or the yellow pages is cheap.

Re the steering column, any late model GM column should work. I have one from the S-10 I parted out.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 PM

C-10 replied to the following question on another thread. Thought it could be useful here. Not sure how you would mount the rack and pinion to the original crossmember though.

Quote:

"is there a way I can incorporate a rack&pinion to that without having to go with the mustang II frt"

Without a doubt, yes. The only thing that would be tricky is the steering input shaft, since that is a rear-steer ti-rod setup. Your rack would be behind the crossmember which ideally that is what the rack would mount to.

If it were a power rack, there comes the pump and lines from the front of the engine too.

I have not done one on a Fleetline but I believe I could pull it off. Depending on your tenacity, you could too.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.