Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 46 ford p/u model # ( WRONG ) ?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 10:58 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

wish I had my 47 ford P/U back. best damn truck I ever built for under $1000.oo.

as the story goes, bought a 47 ford 3ton grain truck for $250. Sold the tires & rearend to a guy for $200. Traded the 3ton spindles to a guy for a pair of car spindles, they will fit. The cars & trucks up to a 3 ton use the same king pins. Gave the frozen flathead V8 to a rodder friend who now uses it as a coffee table. Dumped the flat bed & the 2- 1foot high stack of rear springs at the junkyard. Them damn spring had about 12 springs in each one, HEAVYYYYYYYY.
Then I was able to buy a 1970 fairlane w/30,000 mile on it that had been rolled 5x end over end for only $75.00. I took everything & I mean EVERYTHING out of that car. I used the radiator, all the stock hoses, 250-six cylinder w/auto trans, driveshaft (uncut), rearend, gas tank, wiring harness & most of the gauges, what I didnt use I sold. I bought & shortened a late 80's model ford van tilt steering column w/column shifter & the speedometer, $30 for the pair. Used the ford p/s pump on a GM p/s box that was bolted to an adaptor (swap meet $25) & the pitmann arm had the same pitch on it as the stock one, so I was able to use the stock str8 axle. Rear spring were 90 dodge van 1ton springs w/one spring removed I got for $25 & built a 9ft flatbed for it for w/a wooden floor for about $100, got the metal for it for FREE.
I paid $100 for the disc brake kit, but was able to find a wrecked car at the bone yard w/brand new calipors, rotors & brakes for $100. I had to make my own adaptor for the master cylinder, because no one made them for the BIGG trucks & use a 67 mustang m/c, that was you dont have to use a proportioning value because its made in it.
Bought some 8 & 10 inch rims for it & ran 245/70/15 on the front & 265/75/15 on the rear. Like I said best damn truck I've ever built on TRUELY a budget & the reason we got rid of it was.............. man it was TIGHT w/just the wife & me in it but when ya throw the 15yr old son in it, well you get the picture. OOOOOOOOOOOO well cant dwell on it now, but I sure wish I could get our 48 chevy 1 ton burb done.

I have rambled enuff for now..........joe