46 ford super deluxe sedan - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
I think one of the first things misunderstood is how good these cars can ride and drive with a proper set up stock suspension. My brother had a 39 Ford (basically the same as a 46. He had Buick drum brakes all the way around (they are a classic hot rod brake) with a dropped axle out front. Parallel rear leaves replacing the stock transverse spring with long ladder type bars up to the rear of the transmission. This car drove like a friggin autobaun runner. He turned 13s at 100 in the quarter straight as an arrow. It really drove sweet.

I lowered my 48 Chevy pickup, screwed it all up by removing leaves from the springs, it had bump steer, it drove like CRAP. So I thought that is just how those trucks drove and that is why I put the Camaro clip on it. So the truck is still undone (in a million pieces) and my co-worker brought in his 51 Chevy pickup that had stock springs, a real nice dropped axle and lowering blocks in the rear for a real nice stance. He tossed me the keys and said take it for a drive. I took it out thinking "Ok, now is when I am reminded why I put the Camaro clip on mine". I took off in it and it drove so damn smooth I couldn't believe it! The little six with the stock 3 speed were so nice and smooth. The first corner I hit I hung on for dear life expecting it to handle it like a boat falling off a trailer like my truck used to.......I was BLOWN AWAY at how nice it took the corner, I couldn't believe it.

Now the sick part, about six months later the six in his truck developed an oil leak. He took it to a couple of mechanics who didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground and talked him into putting a small block in it. Not only the small block but a Mustang II IFS too. He had nothing but trouble with it for months and months after getting it back. He didn't get to enjoy the truck for MONTHS after picking it up "done". And the funny thing is, in my not so humble opinion it doesn't drive any better to speak of than the old suspension! It may be a little better but it is no canyon carver. He spent all that money and now has a truck with a LOT less personality.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

i see the point, and maybe i took some comments wrong. i see now that you where telling me to use a identical frame, makes sense now i am apologize for over reacting. so now my question is, where can i find frame, what years was this frame used? the only way i can do effectively is to have another frame, which i felt was a point that i was trying to make and was not being understood. maybe i can find someone who is sitting on one and would trade me stock for stock.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf
i see the point, and maybe i took some comments wrong. i see now that you where telling me to use a identical frame, makes sense now i am apologize for over reacting. so now my question is, where can i find frame, what years was this frame used? the only way i can do effectively is to have another frame, which i felt was a point that i was trying to make and was not being understood. maybe i can find someone who is sitting on one and would trade me stock for stock.
42 to 48 frames will work, some will say a 41 frame also, but I'm not one of them. I would try to find a 46-47-48 frame as they are newer and more of them.

As you go along I will be glad to tell you some of the things you have to watch for, 46 had things that were stand alone parts, like the transmission arms from the wiper motor to the transmission, 42-47-48. were longer so if you have them make sure you hang on to them. The first month or two the 47 had them also, but not all. Just to be clear i'm talking the wiper transmission, not the tranny behind the engine.

Bob

Bob
Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

The truth of the matter is once you become a member of the "community" you car belongs you will have information coming out of your ears on where frames can be gotten. And by the way, I am not saying go get another frame, you can if you like so you don't have to tear down yours but honestly, just use the one you have. Start doing home work and get into the community and learning what will work best for you. I am telling you, every car is different in that the community it belongs is unique to it. I know a lot about 65 Buick Skylarks, as well as 47-53 Chevy pickups and quite a bit about 63-67 Corvettes, why, because I have owned them. Even with all the info I know about these cars I bought my 59 Rambler and didn't know jack about it! I didn't even know what size motor it had or what years they were made. About that Chevy pickup or 65 Skylark or Vette, I can tell you exactly what motors were used, what options on induction or transmissions used. Even with all that, I didn't know ANYTHING about that Rambler. Now, after having it a few years I know quite a bit about it. I know where I can buy parts I know where to go to get info, I know a lot about them, but this takes time.

One of the fun things about these cars is getting to know it. Learning where it was made, what differences there are between a 46-47-48. Knowing how important this car was to America after WWII. These things are what makes the cars we build interesting to me, this is my opinion but this honestly is one of the things I love about these old cars.

Just start doing your home work and you will build a very cool car that will only go up in value. You have a VERY cool body style there, classic stuff, you will be very glad you allowed it to keep it's identity.

Brian
Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

i am no stranger to the car and modding world. in the past i have built, and i mean built an 81 crown Vic with a 351W and c6 and upon finishing the exhaust, i took it out and hit a deer at 90+ ( no real idea as the new speedo cable was on back order). that same engine then found it's way into a 73 Chevy pick-up, yes, your read that right, a Chevy . lol, mostly out of a need for a vehicle to drive, now that same engine will find it;s way into this car, and lord willing, will stay there this time. lol. and your right, the fun was in the learning. we are going to do the frame swap in a some form, either that or i am just going to buy a car trailer, the more i think about, the more I know we will need it for other projects. i am not apposed to the frame swap as i will use both. as this car progresses i intend to the use the flat head and an old late 30's Chevy cab i have stashed to build me a rat rod. i am wondering if i can;t just find someone who has a frame already done up, might be a long shot.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

car is bought, title in hand, last titled in 63' last drove in the mid 70's. hope to get it moved to my parents place in two weeks and take full evaluation of what we bought. and it's all down hill from there ...right LOL

heres a nutty question, anyone have access to frame blue prints???

Last edited by Docwolf; 08-28-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

We need PHOTOS ... of your new project

I have blueprints for a LOT of FACTORY 1932 Ford parts but none for a 1946 Ford. I found this on the internet

It gives numbers but no specifications ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

nice pull deuce, i looked every where and couldn't find anything. that's a good reference point.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

let me see if this works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1320.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	57930   Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	57931   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1323.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	57932  

Last edited by Docwolf; 08-28-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
let me see if this works
Looks like a workable car.

Bob
Old 08-28-2011, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Looks like a workable car.

Bob

oh very, minimal body work, someone already did the work around the side windows.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
oh very, minimal body work, someone already did the work around the side windows.
I won't go so far as to say minimal body work but, let see some more pictures when it's out of the woods, then you will know if your out of the woods.

Bob
Old 08-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

oh trust me, i have done a full walk around, and it has only been stuffed int eh trees for about 6 months, before that it sat out on the street in front of the guys house. he stuck it back there to appease a city ordinance. this is an ally LOL. floor boards need some help, rust over the driver side rear fender, some straightening of the passenger side rear fender and the front fenders are rusted out behind the wheels. trunk looks good and fire wall is in tact. roof is straight and it has all the stainless, needs restored and polished. planing on having the body media blasted.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Doc, let me bring you up to speed on these projects, it will need work EVERYWHERE! I have built or worked on a LOT of old cars and a car of that vintage needs body work on a majority of EVERY SINGLE PANEL. This is why we have been talking about how "frame swaps" are in the eyes of people who haven't been there and done that. Listen, this is NOT a put down or something like that so don't take it that way. But that car will need work on EVERY SQUARE inch, EVERY FRIGGIN SQUARE INCH. There is no "fix this over here and this over here and swap a frame with a running motor and we are off to the malt shop". There is YEARS of part time work. There is a thousand hours MINIMUM in that body.

This is not to discourage, it is to simply get you ready. People do it every day, I just went to the Goodguys show, there were 3200 cars there and 99.9% OF started out like that, needed work on every single square inch. MOST were done by guys like yourself, starting with a lot of passion, a few tools and a little knowledge.

Just get the car, slow down, start learning about it. Document every inch of the car in photos (that REALLY helps a lot later) you THINK you will remember how something goes together, but after you have a hundred of those things taken off you aren't going to remember. Take LOTS of photos, I can not recommend that enough. Heck, recently I was putting a rebuilt harmonic balancer on my car and the pulleys didn't line up. I couldn't understand why and was looking at all the things I had done, mounting the generator and so on to see what I screwed up. Then I broke out the photos I had taken over a year ago before I pulled the motor and one photo, one that wasn't even of the harmonic balancer (there wasn't a single one of it) way in the corner of my photo I could see the friggin pulley was on backwards on the balancer! I had to pull it all apart and send it back to the rebuilder to do it again (with the photo!). I have referred to those photos over and over and over, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Bag things, write on the bags what is in them and box them accordingly I can not stress this stuff enough. You THINK you will remember but even if the car were only apart for a week you would forget stuff and it is going to be apart for a LOT longer than that.

You have a huge project in front of you, don't get overwhelmed but don't get complacent either. Each step is not a big deal, just take each step slowly and you will have it done before you know it.

Brian
Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

you may say this is not a put down, but thats how you come across. I don;t know everything, your right, but then neither do you. nobody does, nobody ever will. i know where your coming from and realize that yes there is a lot of prep work to get this car to a show condition, i am not saying there isn't. what i am saying, compared to my 73 chevy and even my 74 gmc pick ups, this car, body wise is in rather decent shape. you have it in your mind that i am "new" to this, and while i am new to this vintage of car, the car world is not a new venture for me. i thought i made that clear with the list of my previous rides. so i would appreciate if you would stop talking down to me, and talk to me as a equal. i apologize if i have offended you somehow, i never meant to. i do find that my course of modification does tend to offend the older community. currently i am 2 years into a modernization of a 46 Philco floor console radio, i was on another forum for in put and insight as to how to maintain a era accurate build. this project offended many of the older restoration guys. what they could not understand is that this console was one, not a desirable model among collectors and two it would have bent used for fire wood had i not salvaged it. if this same type of scenario has followed me here, then i need to know. other wise, i need to you to take a few steps back. body work and paint will be handle by a shop either here in town , or one town over, the frame will be powder coated once any and all mods have been made. the interior will be done by a shop yet to b named, i figure i am what two years from needing that. vintage air, EFI on the 351w, stainless restoration done by a local college that has a specialized program geared towards per WWII cars and trucks. i don"t expect this car to be done next spring and i am not sure where you got the idea that i did. this is a project, a family project and right now, my concern is with getting it on a mobile frame and to get the body in a preservation state, something i sated several time sin this single thread. that means media blasted, primer-ed and cheap and easy paint job. the body work can wait. with that said, you have made your point that you are much older then me and have more experience, and you can stop worrying that this car will be butchered. I am a welder and Fabricator, what i can't do, i have access to people who can do it. I know how to build a car, stop making sound like i don't.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.