460 bbf engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
460 bbf engine

I have been looking at the Ford 460 as a tow motor for my hot rod. In the junkyard they are dirt cheap. After doing some math the cost to build is about half that of the bbc 454.

$100.00 complete carburetted engine
re-ring kit with crank and rod bearings gaskets $67.00
performer intake $100.00 EBay used. Holley 3310 750 vacuum secondaries, used EBay $40.00.
Hand lap the valves in cost $12.88
lapping compound and lapping stick.
Howard's towing camshaft $52.00
Headman 1 3/4 primary tubes headers. $90.00
Thats it, now for the grand tally $461.88
For myself thats not to bad with the complete motor in the total tally

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,763
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 51
Thanked 247 Times in 214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arless View Post
I have been looking at the Ford 460 as a tow motor for my hot rod. In the junkyard they are dirt cheap. After doing some math the cost to build is about half that of the bbc 454.

$100.00 complete carburetted engine
re-ring kit with crank and rod bearings gaskets $67.00
performer intake $100.00 EBay used. Holley 3310 750 vacuum secondaries, used EBay $40.00.
Hand lap the valves in cost $12.88
lapping compound and lapping stick.
Howard's towing camshaft $52.00
Headman 1 3/4 primary tubes headers. $90.00
Thats it, now for the grand tally $461.88
For myself thats not to bad with the complete motor in the total tally
You forgot your 650000000 volt coil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bygddy For This Useful Post:
68NovaSS (10-09-2013), vinniekq2 (10-09-2013)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 PM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 5,218
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 101
Thanked 130 Times in 121 Posts
You will not rebuilt a 460 Ford motor for $461.00, even using what could wind up being ripoff junk from fleabay. Don't forget shipping, ignition, lifters, gasket set, hone, two oil changes with filters, spark plugs, etc, etc.
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"cheap junkyard engine build"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
You will not rebuilt a 460 Ford motor for $461.00, even using what could wind up being ripoff junk from fleabay. Don't forget shipping, ignition, lifters, gasket set, hone, two oil changes with filters, spark plugs, etc, etc.
I have called already here at my local junkyard for the complete engine and I always get free shipping or I don't buy it. I have hones and tools here at home for rebuilds. I know how to scrounge around and get what I want for the price I want to pay. I have friends that will give or loan me parts for nothing. Or I don't get it. Thats the bottom line. I've had to do this all my life so now you tell me!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,456
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 292
Thanked 709 Times in 684 Posts
mods? there isnt a question for discussion in this thread?Can it be rewritten or adjusted? I dont want to enter a post about the math and start a silly fight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 PM
blwilliams's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chander Arizona
Posts: 102
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Best of luck on your rebuild.
Remember this, they are called junk yards for a reason.
Think about this. How many miles will your used engine have on it. What are the chances of the engine being left out in the open and rain getting into any cylinders with the intake valve left open?
I wish you the best but I have opened up plenty of "quality" pre used engines and they are not very good candidates for a quick ball hone and new ring and bearings.
Like already mentioned you should at least install new lifters on your new cam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a dilemma in a pickle jar

I take my tools to the yard, the owner says it's ok to pull valve cover and oil pan if needed. Also a drill and a modded screw driver to check the oil pressure.. I would never buy a engine that was left outside with no cover on it.. All his engines are covered and clear plastic wrapped and taped. Nobody in there right mind would would purchase a froze up engine laying out in the elements.Most engines nowadays are still in good shape cause the low compression and mild rpm.s they turn. The last two engine I've got fton our junkyard have been a ok. We go out to the countryside about 30 miles out and. Those old junkyard people are as honest as you could ever imagine. Lot of there parts are quote make me an offer and 99 times out of 100 thats what you pay. Now you know the rundown. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 AM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 5,218
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 101
Thanked 130 Times in 121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
mods? there isnt a question for discussion in this thread?Can it be rewritten or adjusted? I dont want to enter a post about the math and start a silly fight
Agreed, more of a story. Doesn't fit in the lounge, moving to general tech.
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 AM
JeffB's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Age: 68
Posts: 1,651
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 80 Times in 73 Posts
460 BBF's make a ton of torque,"Git "Er Done" and let us know how it turns out,love to hear about "budget builds" not all folks are blessed with a fat wallet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the inspiration and your good luck to me goes along way in my book.

that is for sure, Thats why i'm not going to spend money I don't. have The e7te fuelie heads se peanut port intake openings and have 64 xx chambers. The early heads have from 72 cc's to 74 cc chambers
that gave 8.0:1 compression. the fuelie heads have 62 cc's. For a full point raise in compression to 9.0:1 so there is some gas mileage with these heads & junk yards know through their inventory what the do or do not have. I'm 59 years old so I have been around enough to know by looking at parts if they are good or bad. Not bragging but just facts. Believe me or not I don't care one way or another.
Cheers to you all,

Have a blessed nightn Arless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 AM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,763
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 51
Thanked 247 Times in 214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arless View Post
that is for sure, Thats why i'm not going to spend money I don't. have The e7te fuelie heads se peanut port intake openings and have 64 xx chambers. The early heads have from 72 cc's to 74 cc chambers
that gave 8.0:1 compression. the fuelie heads have 62 cc's. For a full point raise in compression to 9.0:1 so there is some gas mileage with these heads & junk yards know through their inventory what the do or do not have. I'm 59 years old so I have been around enough to know by looking at parts if they are good or bad. Not bragging but just facts. Believe me or not I don't care one way or another.
Cheers to you all,

Have a blessed nightn Arless
Good luck with your build
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh i've checked all right. that is the first thing I did. and if you are referring to to the miss match of intake ports. Mustangs and fast fords said it doesn't matter at that low hp and rpm. Oh I will have to use the stock valve cover's. The the bolts are in the center of the heads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 191
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arless View Post
that is for sure, Thats why i'm not going to spend money I don't. have The e7te fuelie heads se peanut port intake openings and have 64 xx chambers. The early heads have from 72 cc's to 74 cc chambers
that gave 8.0:1 compression. the fuelie heads have 62 cc's. For a full point raise in compression to 9.0:1 so there is some gas mileage with these heads & junk yards know through their inventory what the do or do not have. I'm 59 years old so I have been around enough to know by looking at parts if they are good or bad. Not bragging but just facts. Believe me or not I don't care one way or another.
Cheers to you all,

Have a blessed nightn Arless
The 460 fuelie heads have a 96cc chamber. The small block heads with the same casting number are 62cc. The fuelie heads have different intake and exhaust port dimensions than the standard passenger car heads. Only the factory cast iron intake will work without modification.

There are no aftermarket intakes available for the fuelie intake port layout. Someone may be making adapters by now, not sure. An aftermarket intake intended for the standard intake port layout can be modified to work but it is a lot of work.

If you are using a post '71 short block the C8/C9/D0 heads are the way to achieve 9:1 compression.

Last edited by TommyK; 10-10-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
The 460 fuelie heads have a 96cc chamber. The small block heads with the same casting number are 62cc. The fuelie heads have different intake and exhaust port dimensions than the standard passenger car heads. Only the factory cast iron intake will work without modification.

There are no aftermarket intakes available for the fuelie intake port layout. Someone may be making adapters by now, not sure. An aftermarket intake intended for the standard intake port layout can be modified to work but it is a lot of work.

If you are using a post '71 short block the C8/C9/D0 heads are the way to achieve 9:1 compression.
here we go again, I stand to be corrected the heads are 62cc heads for the 460, there was only one year that ford had a completely open chamber head that was 1973. The new heads are 62cc chamber cc's. there is a adapter plate for the heads to mount any intake you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 312
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
arless,

"Hand lap the valves in cost $12.88
lapping compound and lapping stick."

Truman's back in the White House?
This isn't a lawn mower and time is money SO
a low speed-reversible drill, some fuel hose and clamps, very much faster.

good luck with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BBF 460 vs 503 stroker? matt167 Engine 5 02-03-2012 06:56 AM
Bbf 460 Vibora Engine 8 01-14-2011 06:40 AM
BBF 460 Heads 1967chevelle454 Engine 2 01-31-2010 10:27 AM
460 BBF... Side-Oiler?? jumbobumbo101234 Engine 1 05-04-2008 12:19 PM
460 BBF Build chevy350_Camd Engine 4 01-13-2008 10:10 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.