460 build for mpg - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM
No! I don't need a tow truck!

Wiki Edits: 0

460 build for mpg

i picked up a beautiful 77 lincoln town coupe on fri with 76,000 miles on the 460 runs, drives, looks perfect (well close enough anyways) but i want to get all the conveiniences of a modern car in this boat, i was thinking efi, e4od build up a 460 for maximum efficency not hp, but would still like a lil extra hp lol thinkin 350-400 hp over 500lbs of torque 9.5-1 comp headers dual 2.5 inch exuast with x pipe some deep sounding turbo muffs, what would you guys suggest for a good efficent 460 build, goal is 20 mpg

im also tossin around the ideah of droppin a 7.3 powerstroke in there with teh front sump off a t444 school bus engine, side pipes worked up to 400 hp 900lbs of torque and 30mpg, if the right powerstroke comes along i will prolly jump on it, but for now im gonna build the 460 (can never have enough built big blocks laying around lol)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Edelbrock performer package and 600 cfm carb and small diameter primary headers, best bang for the buck and with some tuning and lack of smog junk you might even get close to your goal on the highway.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Coming from that old Lincoln school, here's the way I see it.

You have a 5300 pound car
with a 460 cubic inch engine
and 2.50 rear gear.

You want to double the horsepower
AND
increase the fuel mileage 60%.

It must be a labor of love.

You can get 20 on a straight and level concrete interstate in ideal conditions
with OD and a good fuel injection set up installed on a fresh, correctly built engine, running gasoline, not gasohol,
you are looking at spending 3-4 thousand dollars.

You would be better off installing a 460 from a 95 3/4 ton pickup and its AODE transmission.
Power, well that is a good question. You can "port and polish" and cleanup the intake and exhaust tract with extrudehone, good dual exhaust system, special grind cam, etc. and get a realistic but more efficient 240 hp.

You would be right around 18 on the highway, maybe a tad more, when the OD kicks in (1.70 gear) and your cruise rpm is down around 1300 @ 60 mph. The combination of weight, air drag, and low gear/engine power band will make you cruise 65 since below 55 it will go back into 3rd gear.

Back in the day, I swapped the 2.50 for a 3.00 and dropped only 1/2 mpg and made a slight difference in pulling power. The 300 might be more appropriate for your highway excursions, but you will not get much mileage until the highway cruise conditions are reached.

Even though gas went up 35 cents 2 days ago, (now $1.66) it is sure to go back towards $4.00+ when the economy collapses, and inflation strikes with vengence.

IMO you should just shine it and drive it, and spend your cash on something more valuable for the upcoming economic collapse of the USA.

Last edited by ScoTFrenzel; 01-08-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM

X2 everything Scott said. You are dreaming about the HP/MPG goals. Although, I and some might feel your diesel swap dream is a nightmare!

thnx, jack vines
Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Keep the luxury stuff, but replace as much body panels, as possible with lightweight ones.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

hey, my brother has the same lincoln as yours, I love it, it's like a living-room on wheels, his also has the 460 and it's a gas guzzler.

I support your idea of the powerstroke it's a great motor, the only flaw it has is the loud noise while accelerating but nothing that a 500 watt stereo could not handle, when the turbo kicks in you'll have a big smile, the diesel would love your 2.5 rear end, the milleage would not be that great but sure will be better, get a complete donor track and swap all the electronics in your car, even the dash gauges adapted inside the lincoln dash it would be sooo cool, go for it

Augusto.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I haven't built a 460 for mileage although I built several Ford engines for that during the embargo in the 70s. I doubt there are many lightweight body panels for that particular vehicle,but that is the right way to go. Lighten it as much as possible, in the case of the Lincoln, I wouldn't be surprised if you could lose up to 800lbs+ by removing sound deadening and other material. They even have it in the headliner area. If I was doing the engine, for the amount of a power stroke, you could find a set of 370 heads and redo them. The 370 for those unfamiliar is the small truck engine Ford built that is based on the 460. The heads should bolt right on and you have smaller valves and ports. That will increase the lower power band, which is where you are going to need it ..especially getting it moving from a stop. The stock carb could be tailored for better mileage, but a small Holley( no bigger than a 600) is much easier to tailor because of the plethora of parts available. I would venture a RV cam for the 460 would help as well.Run it as hot as is acceptable and get a free flowing exhaust, maybe even some block hugger headers from any number of companies.Maybe a small air deflector to keep the air from under the car so it doesn't "lift" on the road. Keeping your tires inflated to 35+ psi will help too. I doubt that you will get anywhere close to 20 in town, but the correct set up should be able to get that easily on the highway.Once you are rolling.

Last edited by woodz428; 02-08-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I know of a 79 (I believe) f-150 2wd 460/auto that got 20mpg highway when new.
Shane
Old 02-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

I worked a Lincoln-Merc dealer when those were new, had a couple as demos, and I don't know how on earth you'd make one get 20 mpg My wife absolutely HATED them
You might coax 15 out of one with the above advice, but you might be better off just lowering your expectations, and enjoying the comfy ride. Seems you could pour a LOT of gas thru one for what it'd cost to rebuild and modify the 460, for the marginal improvement you'll get.

How but just adding an OD?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

The 460 is great, but saving fuel was never its strong point. The old-school chambers tend to require a little richer mix and limit how much ignition lead you can use. I haven't really investigated modern aftermarket heads, but anything is better than old-school wheezer 1977 parts.

EFI, tight quench, polished chambers to knock off any hot spots and to be able to bump compression a bit without having to use expensive gas, lean the mix a bit, and just ride out the storm. Its a heavy car that is as aerodynamic as a brick billboard. The weight only affects you when accelerating, but getting that behomoth to move will just require lots of fuel.

Dmax and 7.3 are both great engines, but getting the 7.3 to fit under that hood is probably somewhere between a joke and impossible. I measured a 7.3 for my 66 Bonneville. I measured from the shallowest part of the oil pan to the top of the valve covers and it was a full 10" too tall. I would have had 10" of head sticking out the hood at the front.

Duramax and the V10 TDI top my list of dream swaps for a few vehicles I have. The Dmax is a challenge, but only slightly more difficult than an EFI swap. The TDI is a killer engine, but until I rob a bank for a 5-figure used engine, its not going to happen.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:48 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

The Duramax can be made to fit into a car. I have no idea about a Powerstroke though.
http://www.zimbio.com/Buick+Regal/ar...+powered+Buick

What I do know is that you aren't going to get 400hp and 900lb ft AND 30 mpg out of a Powerstroke, especially in a car that big.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM

Last journal entry: frankenstude too
Last photo:

my 460

I know this is an old post but just for laughs I 'd thought I would comment...my 3400 lb 31 coupe has a 69 lincoln 460 with a 68 mustang top loader tranny. rear axle is a stock lincoln (2.80 I believe). stock mtr was 365 hp..I had installed an erson 286/294 cam, stock heads, 3 angle valve job, 2" dia headers, keith black pistons, roller rockers, weiand stealth manifold and a holley780 carb. from break in to 800 miles I got 3-4 mpg..now at around 2050 miles I get 8-9 with most of my driving at 40-45 mph.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.