460 ford question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

460 ford question

I have a 460 Ford engine I believe to be 1970s. I need to know how to find casting numbers and or dates to see what exact year I am dealing with or possible ideas about what heads and etc. are good vs. not so good. I need to know more about these big blocks and what options were available like heads, intakes, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated or where I can turn to find info without hours and hours searching.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Junkyard Kustoms

Last journal entry: update after a long time
Last photo:

posting a head casting number would be a good start,ford stamped letter in them to identify years c,d,e aka 60,70,80's and then a number d0ve 1970(good heads)or like c9ae 1969.

what did you get the engine from? that also helps determine whats in the engine,
Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM

ford 460 question

the motor is in a 1977 f250 truck. I bought the truck with intentions of strickly mudding use. the truck used to be a stick trans with I am guessing a divorced trans case, 44 front and dana 60 rear. It now has married trans c6-205case and 460 engine. I am not sure if this is the motor that was used from factory. there is a vin plate on the door post and door of the truck. also the letters on the head are d3ve-a2a thanks again !!!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
Good heads. 96cc chambers.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 PM

460 ford question

I am looking at putting a used torker intake on this motor. I know this intake is a single plane rated for higher rpm use. Would it work on this stock motor and what size carb would the original motorcraft spreadbore have been for this engine? I cant reuse this carb as it will not fit on the square bore type manifold. The original manifold on the engine now, the previous owner took off the plate that sits below carb and has a provision for the choke stove set up so now I have raw exhaust coming out of intake and a huge leak underneath the carb. Thats why I am considering using the torker intake and diff. carb. I know the intake is extreme for stock use, but will it work at all or should I find something else? THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL REPLIES!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If I was to guess your block casting number it would most likely be a D1VE or a D8TE block, both are good blocks. As for the stock Motorcraft 4350 four barrel carb, it was rated at 600cfm but probably only flowed more like 500cfm. I used the stock spread bore intake on my 78 F250, I bought a adapter plate for $20 and bolted a 600cfm Edelbrock on it. This is a stock engine and it seems to be happy with this carb.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 AM

460 ford question

I have a carter afb that I am guessing is a 650cfm. I have not read the numbers yet to see, but I will do that. I was thinking of using this carb on top of the torker intake and hoping that the engine will run OK with everything else being stock. There are numbers on the pass side back of enging that start out D1VE.......... Is there a way to determine the exact year of build like a casting date and if there is, where would it be located. I noticed also that there are two different intake gaskets for diff. year motors and am trying to figure those out so I can order intake gaskets. Some years use valley tins and others regular side gaskets

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.