460 manual tranny - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

460 manual tranny

I am looking into buying a 460 for my 1969 mustang. I would like to know if there is an affordable manual transmission(not toploader) to put behind it that wouyld not get destroyed in a year.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 06:44 PM

Don't know

I don't know where to get an affordable 460 tranny. But my cousins torino has a 460 with a turbo 350 tranny and adapter plate. If you could find an adapter plate at good cost As I posted above 'turbo 350 short tail' I can get you a tranny for $75. My cousin's torino runs in the low 11's
Old 01-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Is it automatic or manual?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:31 PM
More rust

Last photo:

Honestly, nope... You could drop a couple thou on getting one of the upper level Tremecs to bolt up and work (even a mild 460 should bust up the lower models), but when you talk about strong 5 speeds affordability goes out the window. Why no Toploader? They kinda put other trannys to shame IMO, cheap and strong, shift well, etc.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:08 PM

top loaders are mainly for trucks. Low gearing there is like no speed.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:33 AM
More rust

Last photo:

No they're not... Nearly every Ford performance car with a stick shift from the era was a Toploader, all the Boss cars, Cyclones/performance Torinos/Fairlanes, GTE Cougars, etc. etc. IMO the Toploader is THE Ford performance manual, nothing else comes close. To say its a truck tranny and not for performance applications just couldn't be more wrong. The wide ratio boxes are better in straight line acceleration whereas the close ratio are better for autocross and such. If you don't want a Toploader, you're only bet for anything worth a damn on a budget is the C6 auto.

If by no speed you mean that w/o an OD they don't allow super high top speeds, the vintage Mustangs weren't designed for it either and get super squirrelly unless well modified at high speed; they're LITERALLY as aerodynamic as a brick. My Mach 1 had a well built suspension and even it didn't like to go 100+.

If you're concerned about cost, you might want to reconsider the big block, the swap parts, bracketry, etc. will end up costing $1000+, not including the actual motor and tranny.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:17 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

I know Ford didn't offer a manual behind the 460 in either the F-series or Econoline for the last several years of production, but I know that farm trucks had them back in the early 70s so there must have been something available once. They had a granny gear, you started in second unless you were towing.

With that much power, the automatic is more drivable anyway...
Old 01-15-2005, 10:24 AM

Finding a stock bellhousing for the 460 is impossible, which leads you to an aftermarket, steel, blowproof bell. Heavy and they do require exacting installation. You may also want to measure that back of that 460 and check into the firewall clearance. I have put 460 based motors into pre '70s Fords. Firewall mods are required to get any trans into the car. BTW, toploaders are excellent transmissions. Expensive, but good.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

A 460 doesn't fit in a 69 Mustang without major modifications to the unibody and suspension, so which tranny is low cost is "the cart before the horse"

Lots of $$$$ to put in a 460
Old 01-16-2005, 02:48 PM

2 options, toploader or tremec

I would put in either a toploader or a tremec. Both can handle over 500 ft/lbs of torque.

Unless you are driving alot or touring, the toploader is just easier. Plus, they are quite simple and can be easily rebuilt by the DIY mechanic. Find a big input/output one.

They are not for trucks. Trucks used stuff like a BW T19, which has something like a 4.1:1 first gear (granny gear). Those are to be avoided. The toploaders came with either a 2.78 or 2.32 1st gear ratio, plenty close enough gear spread.

The tremecs are good but I have heard they still have synchro weaknesses at times. OD is mighty sweet for cruising on the highway, though.

Good luck with your build.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 PM

Last journal entry: Interior Removed
Last photo:

The Tremec TKO-500 is rated for 500 Ft lbs and the TKO-600 is rated for 600 ft lbs.

There is no cheap when going to a manual behind a 460 unless you are shooting low on the build-up. I am going to be putting one behind a blown 460 in an Australian XB Falcon. I'll be going with the TKO-600. I got a quote for $2,250. This includes the yoke, clutch, and Ford upgrade input shaft.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.