460 slight build up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

460 slight build up help

i have a 460 that i havent really looked at a whole lot. it has been sitting on a stand in a barn for some time now and i keep looking at it wondering what i can do with it. it is fuel injected and has the wiring harness sitting on top. so im thinking about switching to a basic carb and switching heads. i dont really know how old it is but like i said i havent looked at it much. im just looking for some pointers to do this. my plans are to put it in my 1973 ford pickup.its and f-150 im restoring it, starting with the engine. i mainly want to build a sleeper.

im not looking for a ton of power based on my budget but i have a ton of extra parts laying around and buying a couple big parts isnt a problem, just not too many. id be happier buying the parts that give me the most power with out making major modifications. and what trans should i put in to accomodate for the power im wanting. i have some c-6 transmissions laying around and one is already in the truck. so do i leave it or yank it?

also, gas milage is not a concern but id just like to get an idea on how good of gas these beasts get.

right now the truck has a 360. its whats called the camper special edition??? all i know is that i have to pull out a ton of extra stuff because it able to run on propane as well. any tips on this project would be tons of help!!!!

thanks, kyle.

Last edited by FirstOnRaceDay11; 04-13-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I'm about to do the same thing only it will go in an 89 F150,
you engine would be from the 80s probably from a Lincoln or T-bird.
How far do you want to go with this? you could get a 514 kit from eagle, has flat top pistons, good quality rods & crank. cam about 240 @ .050 w/ about 560 lift dual pattern cam, headers, street manifold, open up the exhausts ports, a little pocket porting 400 would be no problem.

DOVE heads, headers, full roller rockers, XE274H Comp Cam dur@.050" is 230/236), a C6 w/ shift kit a 2500-2800 stall, 3.73 gears and 31" tires, a weiand stealth, & an 850cfm
Have the heads ported a little on the intake and clean out the exhaust side, & have CJ size valves installed, Use threaded studs with guide plates, hardened push rods, and roller rockers, KB hyper pistons with around 9.5-9.8 comp ratio.
Rich
PS The dove heads have 75cc combustion chambers, other then that they are the same as all other 429/460 heads, oh yea, they have screw in studs also.
PSs Ya know this engine weighs over 700# & traction is a problem.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

As you grow older, you will find that not every idea you had when you were younger was a good idea. In my opinion, this is one of those that qualifies as not so good. You have a perfectly serviceable 73 Ford pickup that has a perfectly serviceable 360 in it that is also set up to run on propane. This is a valuable combination to someone. Maybe not to you, but to someone. My best advice is to leave the truck alone and find another recipient for that big ol' Lima motor.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM

this is not so much a project that i am definately going to do. im just trying to gather ideas and weigh my options as far as right now goes. in the future however i will pobably put alot of money into this motor. but for now im more concerned about my other post about my 74 highboy. that has a 360 in it that was just rebuilt. if you have any tips on how to go about working with that engine that would be great as well

however this project is for future reference. i just wanted to know if it was doable. thankyou for your input and tips though

Last edited by FirstOnRaceDay11; 04-13-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
As you grow older, you will find that not every idea you had when you were younger was a good idea. In my opinion, this is one of those that qualifies as not so good. You have a perfectly serviceable 73 Ford pickup that has a perfectly serviceable 360 in it that is also set up to run on propane. This is a valuable combination to someone. Maybe not to you, but to someone. My best advice is to leave the truck alone and find another recipient for that big ol' Lima motor.

what do you think about putting a rebuilt 360 into the 1973 and putting the 460 in the highboy. the highboy will be more of a bog truck anyway. its not much to look at. the 73 is more for restoration.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi,
I'm about to do the same thing only it will go in an 89 F150,
you engine would be from the 80s probably from a Lincoln or T-bird.
How far do you want to go with this? you could get a 514 kit from eagle, has flat top pistons, good quality rods & crank. cam about 240 @ .050 w/ about 560 lift dual pattern cam, headers, street manifold, open up the exhausts ports, a little pocket porting 400 would be no problem.

DOVE heads, headers, full roller rockers, XE274H Comp Cam dur@.050" is 230/236), a C6 w/ shift kit a 2500-2800 stall, 3.73 gears and 31" tires, a weiand stealth, & an 850cfm
Have the heads ported a little on the intake and clean out the exhaust side, & have CJ size valves installed, Use threaded studs with guide plates, hardened push rods, and roller rockers, KB hyper pistons with around 9.5-9.8 comp ratio.
Rich
PS The dove heads have 75cc combustion chambers, other then that they are the same as all other 429/460 heads, oh yea, they have screw in studs also.
PSs Ya know this engine weighs over 700# & traction is a problem.

yes i am aware that this is a beast. what would you reccomend, however, for me being on a budget. which is not very high. i just mean as far as the intake manifold the carb and maybe crank and exhaust.
thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.