460 starter overheat problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2002, 06:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 460 starter overheat problem

I have a stroked 460 (494 cu in) in my 89 mustang GT, it starts first time, every time when the engine is cold, but when it runs for ten to fifteen min., the starter will drag and sometimes will not turn the engine over enough to start it. I have wrapped the starter in some of that heat wrap, but it didn't help. Any suggestions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2002, 03:21 AM
Old Phart

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Last journal entry: 27 T Roadster project: Underway cont.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Thumbs up

Hi firecat89. A few things which you can check. Firstly a question. Sounds like the motor is new?. What sort of compression are you running ?.
Simply bolting on a "high torque" starter my fix all the problems.

Check the following. Make sure you've got decent sized cables running to the starter. These need to be as short as possible to avoid voltage drop. Same goes for earthing cable from battery to you engine block. Make sure your earth cable goes straight to the block,not to the body first. Run a separate cable,strap to the body. Also try and keep the Battery cables away from exhaust manifolds and pipes.

Check the battery terminal connections. Are they soldered (battery cable to clamp)?. If they are the squeeze and clamp type, you should replace them with soldered connections.

When your car gives trouble starting next,check the cables(at battery) for temperature. Do they feel Warm or Hot. If the're Hot,you've got voltage drop,you need larger cables.

If you're still having trouble,you may have to look at your ignition timing. I'm not a Ford person,but Big Block Chevs can cause problems when hot,if your running a bit much initial timing. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:44 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

All good suggestions from Barry. If it was my car I would also have the biggest CCA rated battery I could stuff in there.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the good suggestions, the big ford has 10 to 1 compression and approx. 500 road miles on the motor. I am going to replace the cables with some 2/o cable from a trunk kit I recently bought. I wish I had just got some 1/o cable. I have a brand new battery with 850 cc amps, but the cables are not soldered (will try that). I will definately check the cable (temp.) the next time old paint refuses to start. I have my eyes on a high torque starter on e-bay (rebuilt), with that big block, you almost have to pull the engine to replace the starter, so thats a last resort. Thanks again for all the good info.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:07 AM

Last journal entry: changes
Last photo:

I had the same exact problem on my Impala... The starter I was using, and the starter you are most likely using, has a motor with copper windings, and when those windings get hot, the resistance goes way up! I upgraded to a more modern permanent magnet starter. That starter will wind up that motor hot or cold, very quickly, its a good feeling to have a nice reliable starter, I would look into a permanent magnet starter. I got mine from a place locally, for a little over $100. not the cheapest starter, but peace of mind is worth it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.