460 tad blue smoke? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

all factory d0ve intake d2ve heads so 95cc chamber size in the gay as open chamber heads. from what iv gathered with my reserach so far. otherwise has a 750holley carby running 95 octane but carby hasn't been tuned yet, iv just set the mixture screws at 1 and half turns out from what the holley website said to apark from new plugs set at 0.044 or 0.44 whatever it was and a hei dizzy with new leads and hasnt got power steering or a/c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

If you are looking for max power, I would suggest running more timing since you are burning 95. 8 is safe but you will sacrifice HP. I believe you can use an old spark plug instead of a piston stop. Just remove ground strap and possibly electrode.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkey View Post
If you are looking for max power, I would suggest running more timing since you are burning 95. 8 is safe but you will sacrifice HP. I believe you can use an old spark plug instead of a piston stop. Just remove ground strap and possibly electrode.
what would be best timing for me to set it at? yeah i want max power i can get but also don't want it to detonate and go boom on me, also do you know what max rpm these rev to? safely and reliably. iv been googling around and they say 5500-6000 rpm? need to know what to set my tacho at so i dont go over the top with the revs, i sort of have a heavy foot and use to an efi rev limiter lol
Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

I would say 6000 is very safe. I would start the timing at 10 run it for a while if it is under 180 or so bump it up to 12. Don't forget about total timing. Timing after the advance kicks in. It also helps to have a thermostat with a bypass in it
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkey View Post
I would say 6000 is very safe. I would start the timing at 10 run it for a while if it is under 180 or so bump it up to 12. Don't forget about total timing. Timing after the advance kicks in. It also helps to have a thermostat with a bypass in it
i removed the thermostat the other day because it might of been faulty and causing airlocks and was making me paranoid i had a cracked head. am just leaving it without a thermostat because it will need all the cooling it can get,

10degrees before or after tdc ? and what do you mean by if its under 180? 180 what? sort of confused me lol

but thanks alot for ur help so far
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Btdc or advanced. 180 degrees. Of might be risky running with no thermostat on the street. Try a restrictor. It looks like a big washer. If it is running cooler with out a thermostat you can advance it even more. Reason a thermostat I'd used is because it takes a certain amount of time for coolant to remove heat from engine and certain amount of time to dicipate in the radiator.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

I just took the thermostat out now because haven't got my temp gauge or electric fans yet, once i get my temp gauge in and electric fans and depends what temp it reads later on i might buy a new thermostat but for now id rather be safe without one then put one in and overheat it because it has no radiator fans or temp gauge. not that i run it for long but still. and ohk thanks, when i borrow a timing light again i'll check out the timing and redo everything
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

It will probably run hot without one

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.