460 tad blue smoke? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

460 tad blue smoke?

Since iv been working on my project car i have a question when i first got it it ran a tad rough missing etc but never blew smoke, iv now put a hei dizzy new leads plugs etc and it runs nice but after accelerating it lets off a slight blue puff of smoke? is this normal? it wasnt doing it before.

also sometimes it back fires out the carby? what does that means is that timing to advanced or to retarded, i set the timing to what i think was about 8-10degrees before TDC, But was hard to see the marks on the crank pulley.

how i done the distributor change was. put piston 1 at around tdc firing, put my new dizzy in and then put the leads on in correct firing order writen on the intake manifold counter clockwise around the dizzy cap. it seemed to run really good as soon as i put the dizzy in but when i done the timing it was like way out somewhere random and wasn't near anymarks then when i move the dizzy to where around 8degrees bdtc it runs good jst tad back fires out the intake. . . .not sure if i done something wrong or if its to advance or retarded timing, also i have a 750 holley carburator and the engine is factory, never came with factory carb so cant put that on have to stick to the 750holley and try tune it so it runs but having a hard time doing that too

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Valve seals?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkey View Post
Valve seals?
google said it would do that all the time, it only does it occasionally after i rev like de-acceleration when idling it doesnt smoke or when i give it revs it doesnt normally smoke only does it sometimes its rather weird
Old 11-07-2012, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Use a piston stop or dial indicator to accurately locate true tdc. Visually it is almost impossible to find. You might be a tooth off.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Use a piston stop or dial indicator to accurately locate true tdc. Visually it is almost impossible to find. You might be a tooth off.
being a tooth off will that stop my timing being set right? thats what i was thinking before but then i thoughtwith a timing light i could still set it right because i can turn the dizzy to set it back to where its ment to be? or does that not work
Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Not gonna run right a tooth off no matter what. First you need to find true tdc then go from there. Set the distributor halfway between travel advance and retard. You can set it after it is running. Bad ignition setup will cause backfire.
The Following User Says Thank You to birkey For This Useful Post:
lil-vulky (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Not gonna run right a tooth off no matter what. First you need to find true tdc then go from there. Set the distributor halfway between travel advance and retard. You can set it after it is running. Bad ignition setup will cause backfire.
this is a video of it running

Seen im not sure what these engines are ment to run like do i need to reset my distributor you think? am planning on taking it to mechanics to properly tune the carby and rekit my back brakes etc so might get him to double check my dizzy settings for me, just trying to do as much as i can because im dead broke this is the 2nd time i brought a car where the seller completely lied =[
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

If your dead broke I wouldn't go to a mechanic and ask for help. I have worked with techs who didn't know what they were doing and charged alot of money for nothing. Buy a piston stop that goes in the spark plug hole for like $20 and find true tdc. From there it isn't hard but you will have to move the oil pump driveshaft to line up with the distributor.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

mechanic should check it for free fingers crossed, hes been our family mechanic for 10 or so years. but oh i never knew they were so cheap might have to see about getting one.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

Oh that would be nice. I got mine from summit cheap. Does your balancer have a mark for tdc?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Oh that would be nice. I got mine from summit cheap. Does your balancer have a mark for tdc?
yup thats what i wound the crank pulley around to, so it was roughly showing tdc on the marking then i put my distributor in started straight away then i used a timing light to try get it at 8degrees btdc but not sure if its right or not was so hard to see the markings in bright as sunny day the light wasn't bright enuff so might be off by a few degrees. will get better timing light and double check
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

I have seen balancers with marks way off before. Don't trust it unless its factory. Or someone with credibility did it. Don't think the timingnlight is at fault. Don't move forward until you know the distributor is in correctly

Last edited by birkey; 11-08-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

yeah i read somewhere 8degrees before tdc is where i should set mine at? and ohhh i see, as far as i know its factory last owner said he brought it from the states which was removed from a 1969 lincoln, i put my finger in the sparkplug hole when turning the crank pulley to make sure it was roughly right could feel the piston moving up with my finger then when it got to the timing marks on the pulley i stopped turning and the number 1 piston was touchable threw the spark plug hole so hoping its not to far off, how would i know if the timing marks are out?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Degrees of timing used depends on CR combustion chamber size octane cam and a few other factors. If it was way off it wouldn't run. The only way to tell is find true tdc!!! That's first thing! Then there will be no second guessing
Old 11-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

What are the engine specs

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.