461 X Cylinder Heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post 461 X Cylinder Heads

I have been doing a little research in the knowledge base, and looking a little at Mortec on their casting numbers for small chevy heads. I have a set of 461 heads originally on a 62 327. Mortec shows the 461X head being manufactured from 60-63 and the smaller port version 461 being made from I think 64-66. Now, do the 461 X heads all just have an X on them somewhere or is there some mis-information on Mortec concerning these castings? I think I have garden variety heads with a casting date of 1961, I don't believe these to be the sought after X heads. Any authorities on these out there? Bob?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2003, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

the X heads will have 461X cast into them, also you will find that the Mortec listing has several errors in it.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:52 AM

Hello Nairb.
I got the 461 xs my self. This is what i have learned about them.
461 : Intake port vol 160 cc, 62 cc chamber.
461x: Intake port vol 172 cc, 62 cc chamber.1.94 Intake/ 1.50 exhaust

The casting number that you see when the valve cover is removed has no "X". If you flip the head over and look at the block mating surface there is an "X" cast on the water passage that connects to the intake manifold water passage. It's on one end only, near the #1 or #7 cylinder. The X is cast in not stamped. All the 461X heads were cast in 61-63. 64 and later will be plain 461.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:28 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

[quote]Originally posted by Swedishrodder:
<strong>Hello Nairb.
I got the 461 xs my self. This is what i have learned about them.
461 : Intake port vol 160 cc, 62 cc chamber.
461x: Intake port vol 172 cc, 62 cc chamber.1.94 Intake/ 1.50 exhaust

The casting number that you see when the valve cover is removed has no "X". If you flip the head over and look at the block mating surface there is an "X" cast on the water passage that connects to the intake manifold water passage. It's on one end only, near the #1 or #7 cylinder. The X is cast in not stamped. All the 461X heads were cast in 61-63. 64 and later will be plain 461.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right on, that's where mine are. A buddy/racer of mine showed me that after I told him I found a set and bought them.

Old 05-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

NAIRB, the 461X heads will all have an "x" suffix. They're getting real hard, if not impossible, to find. World Products Tourquer II heads are real similar in runner volume to that of the early X head. They're 171cc runners with stainless 2.02's - 1.60's and 64cc combustion chambers. (I cc'd one, they're closer to 62) assembled out-of-the-box for around $690 a pair.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:40 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Do they all have the "X" suffix? Mine have the "X" in the cooling port like stated.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

These particular heads are the "X" heads, as there is an X underneath the heads on the water port. Mortec is correct here, and you can physically see the difference in the intake runner size. I pulled the heads off of the 327 this evening, but rust has taken it's toll on the block, sniff sniff-makes you want to cry, but I guess maybe a .060 overbore or even a sleeve will fix it back up. So, what are a good set of 461 X heads worth these days? Should I work em over or leave them be for Super Stock racers?
Old 05-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

A good unmolested matched set of bare 461X castings would be worth probably $250, around this neck of the woods. To a person who just HASTA have'em, they could be worth a lot more.. They're getting to be quite the prize at most swap events.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I think if it was me, I would just give them a cleaning and a fresh valve job. I am sure you've got some valves laying around if those are toast. To someone putting a numbers engine together, they would be worth a pretty penny. To a racer I think the $250-350 range depending on condition and the amount of work that has been done.

I would suggest trying ebay. If you put all the numbers and take some really good pictures they should do well. Just set the minumum bid where you will not be disappointed

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.