468 Big Block Chevy - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Guy,
Phew!!!
I'll relax now knowing that you "did" scour the sh## out it....

for the final "white gloves" wipe down test I use lacquer thinner (mostly) and/or brake cleaner....they are both much more "aggressive" cleaners compared to paint "thinner" (aka mineral spirts)....

LOL...that motor is going to be a tire salesman's worst nightmare for tire "tread wear" miles warrentee!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
Guy,
Phew!!!
I'll relax now knowing that you "did" scour the sh## out it....

for the final "white gloves" wipe down test I use lacquer thinner (mostly) and/or brake cleaner....they are both much more "aggressive" cleaners compared to paint "thinner" (aka mineral spirts)....

LOL...that motor is going to be a tire salesman's worst nightmare for tire "tread wear" miles warrentee!

I think it is lacquer thinner that I have been using,but I'll double check.
Yeah,tires could be an extra expense for sure,the guys at the tire shop know me on a first name basis !!
I cant wait to get it up and running.
Guy
Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

yes, a lot of race shops will set up a bbc on the loose side. good for high rpms in racing conditions. But idling at a street light during a hot summer day is another story.

I had 2 BBC's set up at a race shop with 0.003 clearance and both had low oil pressure while idling hot even with HV oil pumps and 20/50 oil. I did some research and found a BBC needs to be set up tighter for a street engine. I had both engines re-machined for 0.002 clearance and now the oil pressure stays up when hot.

I'm sure the intake well run fine in the low and mid range. But you are giving up some power on the top end (over 6000 rpm). You are building a 600hp engine and it needs a better intake. Those heads and roller solid cam will demand too much from that intake.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
yes, a lot of race shops will set up a bbc on the loose side. good for high rpms in racing conditions. But idling at a street light during a hot summer day is another story.

I had 2 BBC's set up at a race shop with 0.003 clearance and both had low oil pressure while idling hot even with HV oil pumps and 20/50 oil. I did some research and found a BBC needs to be set up tighter for a street engine. I had both engines re-machined for 0.002 clearance and now the oil pressure stays up when hot.

I'm sure the intake well run fine in the low and mid range. But you are giving up some power on the top end (over 6000 rpm). You are building a 600hp engine and it needs a better intake. Those heads and roller solid cam will demand too much from that intake.

When I was looking into getting a new intake I looked at the specs on a few of the ones I was interested in,heres what it says about the Stealth;

Horsepower from idle to 6,800 rpm.
Weiand dual plane Stealth intake manifolds feature long, separated runners for bottom-end and mid-range power, plus a special runner design and larger plenum to flow the air needed for high-rpm horsepower. They mount single, square-mount 4-barrels and make power from idle all the way to 6,800 rpm. That makes Stealth manifolds the perfect choice for your street/strip vehicle.

I felt that from reading this it seemed like the ideal choice.What do you feel would have been a better choice?? Remember,this is a mostly street driven car that will see a trip or 2 to the track.As for low oil pressure at an idle,it has a standard trans and with a solid roller cam I rarely let it idle for any more than 30 seconds or so,and try to keep it up a bit over 1000 RPM.
Guy
Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Yes the intake description seems right. However, you are building a little more engine than that intake manufacture had in mind. By adding a solid roller cam and big port aftermarket heads, you are building much more engine than a typical 454 with stock heads and a flat tappet cam.

Sure the intake will work on the street. It will make good low and mid range power. And the top end will not be bad either. However, your top end power would be better with an entry level single plane (lowest rpm range victor jr, for example).

Your dual plane intake is rated to 6800 rpm, but your setup is most likely capable of making 10 to 15% more than a 454 with stock heads and similar sized flat tappet. So, that would lower the intake rating to 6120 to 5780 rpm. Not saying the engine will not rev to 6500, but hp will be down maybe 20 or 30 hp in the higher rpms.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
Yes the intake description seems right. However, you are building a little more engine than that intake manufacture had in mind. By adding a solid roller cam and big port aftermarket heads, you are building much more engine than a typical 454 with stock heads and a flat tappet cam.

Sure the intake will work on the street. It will make good low and mid range power. And the top end will not be bad either. However, your top end power would be better with an entry level single plane (lowest rpm range victor jr, for example).

Your dual plane intake is rated to 6800 rpm, but your setup is most likely capable of making 10 to 15% more than a 454 with stock heads and similar sized flat tappet. So, that would lower the intake rating to 6120 to 5780 rpm. Not saying the engine will not rev to 6500, but hp will be down maybe 20 or 30 hp in the higher rpms.

Very interesting,the thought of buying a single plane intake did briefly cross my mind,but from my reading it sounds like you lose too much bottom end as compared to a dual plane.Time will tell I guess,we'll see how it works when I get it all together,a trip to the dyno & a trip to the track is in my plans !! With the price of gas taking a big jump,and more increases expected as summer gets closer,I may not be doing a lot of driving anyhow !!
Guy
Old 04-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Got some more done yesterday & today.The ring gaps were checked,rings installed & indexed,bearings cleaned & installed,and the pistons & rods are now in the block.I didnt get a chance to check rod journal clearances,thats next on my list,along with cutting the headers off where they were welded to the exhaust.I need to compare the old ones to my new Hookers and see if the Hookers need to be modified to clear the clutch Z bar,then I can send them off to be ceramic coated.
Good thing I'm not in a hurry !!!
Guy

Old 04-24-2008, 05:00 AM

Last photo:

I cut my old headers off yesterday and compared them to my new Hookers,looks like the clutch Z bar should clear,so they got shipped off to be ceramic coated black yesterday.I also checked the rod journal clearances yesterday,they were at .003.Now the bottom end is assembled and torqued to specs,I checked it 3 times.I've got a new crossmember,oil pan and a couple other peices going to the paint shop today,and a trip to the machine shop to have my remote oil filter hoses made in braided SS.
Guy

Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

I really feel like I got a lot done today.The cam gear was torqued with new ARP cam gear bolts,lock plate & a drop of blue Loctite.The timing cover is on,with a Summit black anodized adjustable pointer.Found TDC with a dial indicator and zeroed the pointer.The Fluidampr balancer is on and torqued.Got the heads on and torqued down.The valve train is all in,I started to set the lash but I got distracted,so I'll finish that next week.
Heres some more pictures.
Guy

Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Got a bit more done today.The water pump,intake manifold and oil pump are on.My oil pan is getting painted,so I have to wait a day or 2 for it.
Guy

Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

In your second from last photo I can see some of your intake plenum. Could you post a pic or two of that from the top?

This looks to be a different animal than most perceived dual planes, and will probably suit your needs just fine. Dave Vizard recently did an article pertaining to dp intakes and runner flow and the results were quite surprising. Most modern dp manifolds don't give up much below 6500-6800 RPM, I think you have made a good choice.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

Stroke,thanks for the comments.This is quite a bit different than the original GM dual plane,heres some pictures.
Guy

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Good Call on using the bypass from the water neck to the pump, lots of people block those off, but it is necessary for proper coolant flow in a BBC
Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Cool, that's the biggest cut-out of the plenum divider I have seen on a new manifold, pic anyway. About 10-12 years ago I did a 406 for my then 17 year old, we used a Stealth manifold on that 10:1 motor and it flat out Rocked - you're going to be doing the same.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

My buddy got my oil pan & new Iceman crossmember painted last night,so I picked them up this AM.I used a Felpro 1 peice gasket,with small dabs of sealer in the corners.I put my remote oil filter hose brackets on,and put my Stefs oil pan heater in.That trip to the dyno is getting closer & closer !!
Guy

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.