468 engine help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

468 engine help!

Can someone help me with a few ?s that im confused about? I have a gen 6 454 it's 0.60 over, stock rods 6.135 stock crank 4.00".Im using semi closed chamber heads#3964290.My cam is a HR special grind Int.561 Exh.587.My ? is can I use stock roller lifters with this cam?and what length pushrods should I use?Please keep in mind this is a gen 6 block with tall lifter bosses,Also what head gasket will work with this combo?Im using a Elderbrock air gap intake with a holley 750 Dp.Any ideas on my compression and how much HP ill make?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tree chopper
Can someone help me with a few ?s that im confused about? I have a gen 6 454 it's 0.60 over, stock rods 6.135 stock crank 4.00".Im using semi closed chamber heads#3964290.My cam is a HR special grind Int.561 Exh.587.My ? is can I use stock roller lifters with this cam?and what length pushrods should I use?Please keep in mind this is a gen 6 block with tall lifter bosses,Also what head gasket will work with this combo?Im using a Elderbrock air gap intake with a holley 750 Dp.Any ideas on my compression and how much HP ill make?
You should use the same lifters that the Gen 6 uses. If the cam is a standard base circle, same thing w/the push rods- but the exact length will need to be checked to be sure that the geometry is correct.

The head gasket used is one for the Gen 6 engine- NOT for the Mk IV heads you're using, or you'll have cooling problems, big time.

With FT pistons, zero deck, 0.041 head gasket, 109 chambers you're at about 8.3:1.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Can someone tell me which head gasket to use on my GEN 6 454 BBC using GEN 4 heads.some say gen 6 gaskets others say gen 4 gasket.Has anybody ever used this combo before? I would really appreciate some help with this matter.Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tree chopper
Can someone tell me which head gasket to use on my GEN 6 454 BBC using GEN 4 heads.some say gen 6 gaskets others say gen 4 gasket.Has anybody ever used this combo before? I would really appreciate some help with this matter.Thanks

I completely agree with cobalt (and he always gives good tech so you can believe him)-first off, your Lifters can support up to .570 lift, so you are o.k. there-as for the Gaskets, use Gen IV-this might help:

http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s...6&chapter=7174

edit: after re-reading your Post, I think you are at the limit on your Lifters-I would call the Cam Mfr's Tech Line-you are on the edge-

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 03-03-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 PM
WFO

Last photo:

My recommendations were originally from my machinist when a conversation we had let to this subject. I have not run a Gen 6 block w/Gen 6 head gaskets and Mk IV heads- but was told that the Gen 6 gaskets were the ones to use.

The first (admittedly weak) item I ran into to confirm what was told to me is HERE, which says in part:

"Coolant Routing Mk IV/Gen 5/Gen 6
There are two different ways that coolant can be routed through the engine: series flow and parallel flow. Both ways work just fine. There may be a slight preference for parallel flow, but it is not a big deal. Series flow has the water exiting the water pump, flowing through the block to the rear, it then transfers through the head gasket and into the cylinder head through two large passages on each cylinder bank at the rear of the block. The coolant then travels from the rear of the head, forward to the front of the head, into the intake manifold water passage and out past the thermostat and thermostat housing. The water cools the block first, then it cools the head. The coldest water (coming out of the water pump) is directly below the hottest water (having already picked up the heat of the block and the head) as the hot water transfers into the intake manifold. By contrast, parallel flow has the water exiting from the water pump into the block, where a portion "geysers" up into the head between the first and second cylinder, another portion "geysers" up to the head between the second and third cylinders, another portion geysers up to the head between the third and fourth cylinder, and the remainder transfers to the head at the rear of the block. The coolant temperature inside the engine is more even that way. The differences in coolant routing is having (or not having) the three additional coolant transfer holes in each block deck, and three matching holes in the head gasket. The heads have passages for either system, and are not different based on coolant flow.

"Be aware that gaskets that DO have the three extra holes between the cylinders often have restricted coolant flow at the rear--instead of having two large coolant transfer holes at the rear, there is only one, and it's the smaller of the two holes that remains. This is important because if you use a parallel flow head gasket on a series flow block, you can have massive overheating and there's NOTHING that will cure the problem except to replace the head gaskets with ones that don't restrict flow at the rear of the block, or to drill the block decks to allow the coolant to flow into the head between the cylinders. Here's why they can overheat: A series-flow block doesn't have the openings between the cylinders, no coolant can flow up to the head there. The gasket may only have the single, smaller opening at the rear, so the amount of water that gets through that opening is greatly reduced from what the block designers intended. The result is that the coolant flow through the engine is only a fraction of what is needed.

"Most, but NOT all Mk IV engines are Series Flow. ALL Gen 5 and Gen 6 engines are Parallel Flow. A series flow block can be converted to parallel flow by drilling 3 holes in each deck surface, and then use parallel flow head gaskets. You can use the parallel flow gaskets as templates for locating the additional holes. It's really easy: Put the parallel flow gaskets on the block, mark the location and size of the three extra holes. Remove the gasket. Grab a 1/2" drill and a drill bit of the correct size, and pop the extra holes in the block. There is NO modification needed on the head castings. Some blocks have one of the holes already, but it needs to be ground oblong to properly match the gasket. Again, very easy with a hand held die grinder and rotary file."

This pretty much mirrors what I was told. My machinist is fairly "old school", so I doubt he read this on line somewhere- although I do not know this to be true.

He seemed to be sure of himself (and nothing he's told me so far has been in error, w/this possible exception)- or else I wouldn't have repeated it here.

If this was in error, my sincere apologies.

Last edited by cobalt327; 03-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Can anyone give me some part#'s on what head gasket to use on this engine?I know thats its different #'s for the right/left but I dont know which gasket fits what side. Remember its a Gen 6 454 Im using Mark 4 heads#290. and is it possible to use thinner head gaskets,if so. could you please give me the maker and part# for the gasket? Thanks Guy's
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Victor Reinz is supposed to have the correct gaskets to mate the Gen VI block w/the Mk IV heads.

Their site is of very little help (Dana Automotive)- at least to me, I was unable to locate an applications catalog for you.

I went so far as to contact them yesterday via their email form (wanted everything but my freaking shoe size), but haven't heard back from them.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.