46re disassemble problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

46re disassemble problems

im rebuilding my dads 46re/rh out of his 93 dakota. All the clutchs and steels are gone and the park band is gone nothing left at all just steel. I have been looking all over the net for any info on rebuilding and im finding nothing. I was wanting to know on the tail shaft part of the trans after the first set of clutchs how do you get the 2nd set out. I can not get the middle gear out of the 2nd clutch pack which is making it hard to remove the lock clip on the clutch pack any info.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 AM

Last journal entry: The Cheetah
Last photo:

I'm not sure exactly where you're at in the disassembly,so i'll wing it....1] .extension housing is on the bench 2] round shaped retaining ring is removed 3]clutches and steels are removed 4] 2 more retaining rings,flat and wavy, are removed 5] oval exterior cover with 2 torx bolts on extension housing is removed 6] extension housing is placed on bench with the rear seal end facing up 7]retaining ring ends, behind the now removed oval cover, are spread open as far as possible,allowing the gear train to drop out of the extension housing...hitting the tailshaft with a rubber mallet helps 8] at this point, a HYDRALIC PRESS is needed to get the small snap ring in the front of the gear train,inside the external splined drum, off...THE SPRING PRESSURE BEHIND THE SPLINED DRUM THAT THIS SNAP RING RETAINS is along the lines of a front coil spring of a car,it could hurt you if not done right 9] it's all down hill from there.....
Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

well thats alot of info and i got the splined drum off without a press i didnt see any spring at all. I think in some ways its easyer thin the 700r4 i rebuilt and in others its not but it will get done.

I also have to say these clutchs are so burnt i had to pry them off funny this truck would fishtail when you hammer it befor what will it do after its done and broke in.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

I have the transmission apart but the rebuild kit is for a 46re/rh or 47re/rh which in the book that with the rebuild kit says the 46/47 re/rh trans have a different number of steels and clutchs in the OD. I dont realy know what to do i have all the clutchs in but an extra steel i dont know where it came from i dont want to take the spring loaded clutch pack out to check and i dont know where it would go.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

i dont know anything about this trans but 2 of the 4 clutch setup have play. I have rebuilt a 700r4 that had no play on any clutch pack but a guy at a trans shop told me their should be play on some of the clutch pack.

Help me plz.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.