47-53 AD Chevy Fender Search Woes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 10:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

47-53 AD Chevy Fender Search Woes

I have searched and searched and searched. All I can find are $400 reproduction steel or glass fenders. That or beatup, cracked fenders that deserve to be crushed.

Where can I find some good fenders? They don't have to be perfect, but this is my first time doing major body work so I don't want to get in over my head. Where do you guys find them?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 08:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Keep an eye on E-bay, they show up from time to time. Also check out local swap meets.

Centerline
Old 03-22-2005, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

I've been watching ebay. Problem is hardly anyone will ship them. As far as swap meets go.... practically non existent in this area. But thanks for the heads up!

Is there such a thing as a reproduction fender that isn't $400? Glass or metal?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:31 AM

Last photo:

Unless it's totally unaffordable, get the new steel ones for 4 franklins and call it a day. If you were an expert sheetmetal guy, you wouldn't be looking at all, would ya? The savings in time, mat'l, and grief makes it a bargain. You could always ask for a special or discount. A supplier needs to move his inventory. Ask for free shipping and 10% off on a pair. You'd be surprised what you can get by simply asking.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:59 AM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyman00
I've been watching ebay. Problem is hardly anyone will ship them. As far as swap meets go.... practically non existent in this area. But thanks for the heads up!

Is there such a thing as a reproduction fender that isn't $400? Glass or metal?
My first Ebay purchase was a front fender for my '48 1/2 ton and the seller shipped it by Greyhound from California to Illinois. Suprised sellers aren't willing to ship Greyhound. Fairly reasonable in price for such a large item. Bought a set of rust free rear fenders for the same truck for less (much less) than the price of reproduction ones. That find took two years of looking.

Guess in a long winded way I am saying use Greyhound and keep looking.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

What is your guys' opinion on fiberglass. I ran across a pair in the area that is made by Old Chicago. They are supposed to be wider than factory for wider tires.

What do you guys think of fiberglass fenders, how well will they stand up? I can get the set for about $300, and he claims they are new.

I have always been a steel guy, but the cost and knowing they should be smooth is making me reconsider.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

fiberglass fenders

I have had real good luck with Bebops in Tenn. Nice people to deal with and great prices and products. I have used their chevy and ford fenders and they have fit real well.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
tyman, I have to tell you something. ANY fender of that age is going to need work on every square inch, PERIOD. I have a 48, 25 years ago I picked up five rear fenders and chose the two best. They STILL required work on every square inch. These were super straight zero tears. The point of my post is just to say, find some decent ones and hone your skills.
Brian
Old 03-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Front or rear? I have 4 really clean original front ones with a couple of simple dents to pop out, no rust or wrinkles. But I am pretty far from ND!! I found a bunch of AD parts in the classifieds of my local news paper. These fenders, 4 great doors, running boards, a spare-less driver's rear fender, a pretty clean grille front and even a rear bumper.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I had the same problem. When I was looking for decent front fenders for my '53 I just couldn't find them. The ones I did find were in California and cost a mint to ship so I opted for a new set of glass front fenders from Chevy Duty. They are good quality but I would have preferred metal. Glass will require a lot of fitting work so you're not really saving any time over a good used metal set. Either way you're looking at a bit of work to get them to fit and look good. Rear fenders are a bit of a different story. Glass fenders will not be as much of a pain to fit. I managed to find a set of good used originals on E-bay a couple states away and just made a day trip to go get them. A few minor dents and a small tear but no big problems and saved myself $300 or more over new.

Just keep looking and you'll find a set. After I bought my glass front fenders I found three good used sets at a swap meet for half what I paid for the glass ones.

Here you can see the glass front and original rears in primer. I'm still not 100% happy with the front fenders fit, but for a driver they'll work.

Centerlne
Old 03-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Willy's... I have shipped with DHL before and they were pretty reasonable. I am really looking for all four fenders. I have a couple fronts that I suppose I could make work. But I will need decent running boards and I would really like a set of pre 51 doors without the vent window.

Just for curiosity how far are you from Brown Valley? I might have to deliver a trailer down there (we have a family business that sells trailers) and we have a gentleman there that wants to have us deliver a trailer down there. Maybe I can save on shipping costs and I could cut him a deal on delivery to sweeten the deal to get him to buy. Just an idea that probably wont work

What would you want for some of those parts... especially rears. I am wanting to learn metal maybe I should go with metal.

Do you guys think that I would be spending to much for the glass fenders? Any one familiar with Old Chicago? Is $300 a good deal for the wider fenders?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Don't want to talk $ on the board. Send me a PM w/ your email address and I'll send pictures of what I have. Even with shipping these will be <<$ than 'glas.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Smart man, PM sent
Old 03-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyman00
...Any one familiar with Old Chicago? Is $300 a good deal for the wider fenders?
Got a link? I'm in the same boat with my '47 Ford coupe. All I can find in wider 'glass rears is from "C&G Early Ford Parts" and they're $340.00 EACH! Would your "Old Chicago" have any Ford stuff?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:12 AM

Last photo:

http://www.ocsr.com/

I know they have Ford from what I have seen...... just not what Fords.

My woes may be at end. I may have found a mint 5 window 48'. It still runs on the stovebolt and 6volt system.... They say absolutely no dents or rust... new glass and they just had the whole interior redone. I don't even know what to offer them...... I am used to looking at beat up clunkers and making offers. Wish me luck

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.