Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 47 Ford PU to 48 Ford PU Why is the 47 left out of the fun ?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperfrank
It is running Mojo, I have it all together and it already got a 1st place last summer in Stock truck with six other trucks competing(small show). Now I'm just thinking what I should do with it. The body will stay stock, its that nice, but I can't decide , dropped axle and self energized brakes, tube shocks, flipped rear end or just removed leafs. I like to compete in shows with my vehicles (bikes and cars), beside driving them, a lot, so these changes will take me out of stock class. Or.. should I just leave it alone (it ain't broke so why fix it)???
I just took it out of the garage , I think this one will be a keeper!
Well you can swap in a 9" rear with nothing more than hand tools... find a '57 to '66 rear... lots of rear gear options there. I had a 3.70 in mine but you might want a little lower numeric gear for cruising. I used my F1 for everything... daily driver, towing, etc. I had a Buick Nailhead in mine. Crossed the scales at my local scrap yard at 9500 lbs. one day....with a single axle trailer loaded with scrap.

Nothing wrong with the stock brakes IMHO. There are thousands of early Ford hot rods running 'em... and the guys bought those brakes cheap when others tossed 'em in the junk pile. If you MUST change 'em find some F100 brakes... '53 to '56.

Glad to see you aren't going the IFS route... the parallel leaf deal up front can ride real nice if set-up properly. I pulled too many leafs out of mine and the ride suffered. Now I prefer a dropped axle (gennie Henry axle) with lowered springs... there are several guys who will do a great job of dropping a stock axle for you.