Hot Rod Forum banner

472 big block cadi

14K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  327NUT 
#1 ·
#4 ·
American Muscle said:
is it known for performance?
Not really, makes big amounts ot torque just because it is soo large. The 472 and especially the 500 are somewhat used for performance, there are a couple of companies that specialize in performance parts for these. A bit more expensive than a BBChevy, lighter than a BBChevy, almost SBC weight. BBC headers nearly fit, cutting off the BBChevy flanges and slightly tweaking the tubes allows Cadillac flanges to be welded on.

It is a slightly popular swap into chevy trucks, good towing power and usually better mileage than a BBChevy. There are a few people who use them in Hotrods. Will basically fit anywhere a BBChevy, BBOlds, Pontiac, BBBuick will fit if you want to do the swap work.

#5 ·
First thing on a deal like this is to verify what the guy selling it says is actually what it is. Verify the casting numbers to make sure it is in fact a 472/500 and not a 425 or 368. The valve covers do not look right for a mid 70s 472. The sellers comments about being a big block and that it was too big to fit in an 83 Monte kind of tells me the seller doesn’t know what he’s talking about (should be more along the lines of “I got in over my head”).

Comments like “ran when pulled from truck” always make me a little cautious (especially when Cadillac engines were not installed in trucks)...... how did it run and how long has it been sitting out in the elements.

I notice it is missing most of the accessories/brackets which can be a PIA to find and depending on the oil pan you may need to dig up a El Dorado pan or aftermarket one ($$$$). At a minimum you will want to pull the timing cover and replace the timing chain and put in new valve seals.

Depending on the year and compression a mid 70s 472 should make close to 500 foot pounds of torque around 2500 RPM and stock valve springs float at around 4200 RPM. Geared properly (highway gears in the 2.75-3.25 range) work very wells with these engines. Properly set up in say a G Body it's not too hard to get a fairly stock 472/500 into the 12-11s and still be very streetable.

If the engine needs rebuilt you’re looking at around $2000 for a stock rebuild.......start adding speed parts and it gets real expensive real quick.

What are you looking at putting it in? The Caddy engines are long and tall, and while they can be put in a lot of different vehicles it usually is not a “bolt in” deal and will require some amount of skill. The often listed 50 pound difference between the weights of a Small Block Chevy (like the 305/350s) and the 472/500 Caddy is in fact closer to 100-125 pounds. Things like springs and cooling system capabilities will need to be considered.

If you are planning such a swap be honest with yourself about your abilities to actually make it happen.

#7 ·
Caddy torque

I bought a caddy for $25, it had messed up wiring, I put the 472 engine and trans into my sawmill, Lots of low end torque, I run it at 2200 rpm in reverse direct via u joints to the 4 ft round blade, The caddy has high nickle content blocks, they last forever,

#8 ·
Everything said above is true, very high nickle block and they perform well when hot rodded. The stock rods are cast and should be replaced with affordable aftermarket forged pieces if you want to run it up to 5500 often.
I'm in the process of building a '75 508" engine for my '32 Victoria, wanted something different, learning as I go. You can look at 2 websites....www.500cid.com (Maximum Torque Specialties) and www.500cadparts.com. They both carry parts to really wake up the 472/500 Cadillac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.