Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 47RE - 727 Mystery
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454headache
The TV cable is set up correctly. Next time around I'm going to look around for a 47RH, which truly is a 727 with an overdrive. The 727 was put in subject because I thought the 47RE and 727 had a lot in common and more people would be familiar with 727's and where to tap them for pressure.

I have not checked the pressures at the other ports yet. Who knows, they might all be 0. The front servo port should only show pressure in 3rd gear or up to 3rd gear? If it shows pressures in D up to 3rd, then I'll use that for my pressure gauge.

The blocker rod is in the accumulator port. I built the thing over a year ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm 99% the rod is behind the accumulator, part of the reason for strong and hard shifts. The mainline pressures should be very high as this is behind a fairly strong diesel engine and there are no signs of slippage or flares. The mainline pressure ranges should be 115-140 idle and 195-205 WOT. Heck, I think in 2000 Dodge even set the factory idle pressure at 95 in order to help these 47re's live a bit longer behind an engine that they were never intended for.
Stock pressures run a bit lower in forward gears, even on the diesels. A trans with a shift kit will run higher. I build them and dyno them on a regular basis.

Since you dont remember what you blocked, it may stop the oil flow if the pin was solid.

If you used a TransGo kit, they do not block the acc feed. The pin they provide has a hole in it to restrict flow. there would still be a pressure reading. I hook 4 gauges to the trans during a dyno session and I see pressure out of the center port.

With a diesel that has been turned up, some billet parts are suggested. You also have to watch the main pressures to avoid damage to the forward clutch pack if it is setup a little loose. the piston will over center the bevel spring and tear up stuff.

Shifts with the converter clutch applied usually results in a broken input shaft, even the billet HD shafts are broken.

The internals of the 47re or rh or even the 48re are similar in design to the 727 trans with differences. The controls are greatly different.

The late valve bodies are subject to more wear in the valve bores than the early 3 speed valve bodys