48 Buick help needed - original steering column wiring to new EZ harness - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

48 Buick help needed - original steering column wiring to new EZ harness

Hello, I am completely rewiring my 48 Buick with an EZ Wiring kit and converting to 12 V. There are 6 wires coming out of the steering column. Three went to the 6 V flasher. The other 3 went to the turn signals. The steering column wire colors are not recognizable.

The EZ wire kit has the following labeled wires that need to be connected to the steering column wires:

left rear turn, right rear turn, left front turn and ind, right front turn and ind, flasher, hazard

In testing the steering column wires with a multimeter, only one pair from one group of three will cause a response and that's with the turn signal stalk in the left turn position - no other pair of wires from a group of three or across the two groups of three will show continuity when the stalk is in any position.

There is no battery power yet - just the multimeter.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to sort this out. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera photos 332.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	57785   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine going in.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	57786  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emonce
Hello, I am completely rewiring my 48 Buick with an EZ Wiring kit and converting to 12 V. There are 6 wires coming out of the steering column. Three went to the 6 V flasher. The other 3 went to the turn signals. The steering column wire colors are not recognizable.
Hi.

Of the six wires coming from the turn signal switch, there should have been:
- Two coming from the flasher (one from the 'L' terminal and one from the 'P' terminal),
- Two going to the turn signal indicator lamps on the dash, and
- Two turn signal output wires (one left and one right).

(click for complete wiring diagram)

The turn signal switch in this car is basically a DPDT (center off) switch. One of the poles sends power from the flasher pilot 'P' terminal to the turn indicator lights in the dash. The other pole sends power from the flasher 'L' terminal out to the turn lamps.

Quote:
The EZ wire kit has the following labeled wires that need to be connected to the steering column wires:

left rear turn, right rear turn, left front turn and ind, right front turn and ind, flasher, hazard
of the 6 wires coming out of the turn signal switch, you are only going to use three.

Connect all lefts together and to the left turn output wire from the turn signal switch, and similarly, all the rights are connected to the right turn output wire.
The flasher wire is connected to the turn signal switch wire that feeds the two output wires.
The hazard wire will not be used. If you want hazard lights you will need to wire in a separate switch for them.

Quote:
In testing the steering column wires with a multimeter, only one pair from one group of three will cause a response and that's with the turn signal stalk in the left turn position - no other pair of wires from a group of three or across the two groups of three will show continuity when the stalk is in any position.
If you are sure you tested every possible combination, then you probably have a bad turn signal switch or deteriorated wires in the column.

Hope this helps.......
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Thank you so much!

Wow - thank you for the response. Your directions were clear and unerstandable. It looks like I'll be pulling the steering wheel and signal switch. I thought about doing that because of the old wiring. Now it looks like it's a necessity. I'll let you know how it goes.

The help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

Joe G.

I hope I am not stepping on the earlier post!

You did such a wonderful job of answering his question do you think you could answer a Ford question with turn signals!!

1986 Lincoln, Town Car I think?
All black EZ Wire kit

The turn signal plug has 5 wires coming out of it, I am not at the truck at this time but I do remember that one of the connections was green and had two wires
another was blue and maybe a white with red tracer not sure on that one

I did test the wires and had continuity on at least a pair of these 5 wires but don't remember which ones and I was just trying all combo.

There is also a Hazard switch on this column along with the stalk of the turn arm as a dimmer switch.
There is another stalk for the wiper switch, bit I am saving that for another challange when I have everything figgured out!!

There is also cruise control switch on the steering wheel which I have IDed but am not using
Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

Hi Axel,

Thanks for the kind words.

1986 is a bit new for any wiring diagrams I have around. I tried Autozone's website, but they didn't have a diagram for it either. You might find a diagram at your public library.

What puzzles me is that you say there are only 5 wires coming from the turn signal switch. Seems like an '86 Town Car would have quite a few more wires than that. I would expect a Lincoln turn signal switch to have a minimum of 10 wires:

2 - front turn and dash indicators,
2 - rear combined turn/stop,
2 - front cornering lights,
1 - cornering light power feed,
1 - Turn flasher feed,
1 - Hazard flasher feed, and
1 - Brake signal feed.

But I have very little experience with vehicles as new as the Lincoln your column came from, so I could be completely wrong.

If I had the column in front of me, here is how I would attack it:

1. Clearly identify all turn signal switch wires or terminals with numbers.
2. Make a chart with a column for each wire/terminal and a row for each switch position. Like this:

Then methodically go through each and every combination of wires in all three switch positions checking for continuity with a multi-meter.

I generally go through all the combinations, then change the switch position, then go through all the combinations again.

For the sake of illustration, let's say there are 6 wires.
So starting with the switch in the off position, I begin probing every possible combination of two wires;
1+2, 1+3, 1+4, 1+5, 1+6,
2+3, 2+4, 2+5, 2+6
3+4, 3+5, 3+6,
4+5, 4+6,
5+6.

Then I change the switch position and go through them all again, and again for each switch position.

When I find a pair or trio that are connected, I map out the connections with dots connected with lines in the corresponding rows and columns of the chart, like so:

You should notice a pattern.

If you know how a turn signal switch works, you can now use a bit of deductive reasoning to determine which is the RF, LF, RR, LR, Flasher, and Brake feed.

More info on how a turn signal switch works (click here)

In my example, this is the solution:

Hope this makes sense.....otherwise make a chart of your switch, post it here, and we can help you figure it out.

Good Luck.....
Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Joe for the quick reply!

I am going back over there tomorrow I will try your deductive reasoning with the props!

I was able to get some shorts with a pair of wires but I did not make a chart.

I did a search and read all 8 pages of the search which gave me a better understanding of the Turn S switch,

I will try and apply that with the column in hand.

I take it the power to the T S switch is coming from the EZ kit in the flasher power wire, what happens with the Hazard wire?

This column was removed from the donor vehicle by the trucks owner and he cut the wires but did not remove any leads on the column.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel
....There is also a Hazard switch on this column along with the stalk of the turn arm as a dimmer switch.
There is another stalk for the wiper switch, bit I am saving that for another challange when I have everything figgured out!!
If you want to get everything working, I highly recommend finding a wiring diagram for the car that column came out of. It will save you countless headaches....
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel
I take it the power to the T S switch is coming from the EZ kit in the flasher power wire, what happens with the Hazard wire?
Yours may be different but in general......
Power to the TSS comes from three sources; the turn flasher, the hazard flasher, and the brake light switch. Power from these sources passes through the TSS to the appropriate front turn and rear stop/turn lamps, depending on the position of the turn signal lever and the hazard light switch.

- When the turn signal lever is in the OFF position, power from the brake light switch, if present, is passed through to both rear stop/turn lamps.

- When turning, the selected turn lamps get their power from the turn flasher, making them blink. Power from the brake light switch, if present, is only passed through to the stop/turn lamp on the non-signalling side.

- When the Hazard switch is on, power from the hazard flasher is passed through to all four turn lamps.

Again, a wiring diagram for that column would answer a lot of questions. Lincoln is notorious for over complicating simple things...like turn signals.

Good Luck.....

Last edited by Joe G; 08-31-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for your help Joe.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.