48 Chev PU door latches - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2003, 06:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 48 Chev PU door latches

The door latches on my 48 Chevy PU are well worn. The project came with a set of new bear claw latches. However, these seem to mount the latch on the truck and the striker on the door for a shaved door handle application...which I'm not interested in (I'll likely sell them). Also, the stock latches only seem lock on the passenger side. I would like to be able to lock both doors as the truck is expected to be used regularly and have them close securely. Can anyone offer any suggestions...?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

why not have both? put the stock handles on for a stock look, but install some solenoids to operate the doors. this way you get the look you want and you get added security with the door bumpers.

JB
Old 01-22-2003, 07:33 PM

I enjoy the hi-tech stuff, ie electric trunk lids, remote doors, etc, when it's on other people's cars. I kind'a wanna keep it simple: Door handle, rod, latch. I had considered adapting something newer, but the striker sticks out in a way that I could see myself catching my clothes on it everytime I hop in...
Old 01-23-2003, 06:14 AM

If you want to stay stock check with chevsofthe40s.com
Old 01-23-2003, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Chevs of the 40s is good. Also try Jim Carters. They have a website and a working junk yard of Chevy pickups. They can set you up with new repair parts for your latches and hinges => brand new doors! I think the '48 thru '52? pickups had twist down handles and the '53 and up had push button door handles. The push button type are interchangeable - I put the locking one on the driver's side on my truck, no problem. The twist down type likely aren't interchangeable 'cause that would make them twist up! Check w/ Jim Carter whether you can adapt push button handles on your truck so you can have a driver's lock.

I prefer one outside key lock on the driver's side only. Thus to lock the truck, I push down on the passenger inside door handle which locks it, get out, and key lock the drivers door. You can also push down on the drivers inside door handle and lock when your are inside the truck. Since 99.9999% of the time you will be driving the truck on the driver's side, that is all you need.

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 01-23-2003, 09:37 AM

Thanks willys.

You're right that the handles are the twist down style. However, the lock cylinder is seperate from the handle. On the pass side, it's a teardrop shape with a spring cover and it's mounted below the handle.

I assume that this means that the stock driver's latch locks and that I just need to add an ext key cylinder and I'm in business. I'll look into this further.

But how secure are the stock latches? I've heard stories of doors popping open when going around corners or hitting bumps with the older vehicles. Is that a problem with the AD trucks?
Old 01-23-2003, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

www.brotherstrucks.com <a href="http://www.lmctruck.com]www.lmctruck.com[/URL] all are good places for new parts for your truck. I have ordered one thing or anther from all three and dont have any complaints from any. Get the LMC cataloge its has exploded views of how things go together. They all have door latch parts.

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>
Old 01-23-2003, 11:26 AM

Depending on the make of car or truck, it was over the decade from 1940 to 1950 that outside door locks became standard for both sides of the vehicle. The passenger side outside lock only was a long-dying attempt by the manufacturers to get people to exit their cars on the passenger (curb) side rather than opening the driver's door and stepping out into traffic.
Remember, in the early day road markings were simplistic and often non-existent. Very few roads were marked with anymore than a center strip, if anything at all.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:29 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

god you must be old!!! and here i thought it was to let your wife in the truck first, all this time!!! little did i know i was getting out of the wrong door!! come to think of it, you wouldn't take your wife out to dinner in the p.u.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« crazy idea | linex »