48 chevy fleetline rear window - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Last journal entry: 1940 toy wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

48 chevy fleetline rear window

Anyone know how to install the rear window rubber on a 48 fleetline. I just got the new rubber its two pieces, but no instructions. I have a manual but it does not show the rear window, just the front windshield. Im lost by looking at these two pieces and have no idea how it holds the window in. I need help bad, as we have no glass shops close to us. If anyone has the instructions please help . Thanks Mrwood.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
Does the rubber have a slot in it and then the other piece is sort of "ropeish" rubber strip that sticks into the other pieces slot?

I think that is how those are, at least that is the way the Chevy pickup of the same vintage works.

You want to know the trick, this is worth hundreds of dollars..... fill up a bucket with HOT water and put the rubber in it. It will make it WAY more plyable and slip right in.

Brian
Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

The rear window is held in by the garnish molding.It is installed from the inside.One rubber is installed and glued into place and the other goes around the window and then is put in place. I have the one manual that explains it in detail but it is at my shop. I'll grab it today and post the proper procedure. If I remember correctly the front windows are installed the same way.
Here you go; I forgot about this site. I have it on my favourites. Do a search for Old Online Chevrolet Manuals. When you get to the home page scroll down to Fisher Body Manuals. Then click on 46-47. Look under the G's and you want pg 71. click on there and then got to the next page. It shows you there and explains it very well on what to do. This about the best online site for Chevy's you can find. And it is free. Good luck.

Last edited by 46chevyfleetline; 05-12-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
Thanks fleetline for setting him straight! Hopefully he read it before trying my method!

Brian
Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Brian, I'm heading to Nebraska on Monday. If I see a guy walking down the interstate with a rear window in his arms and saying to himself "They told me it would fit" Then I know we didn't get to him in time.
It actually looks like it is installed the way you had mentioned when taking it out. I thought the same thing. I had taken the reveal moulding off of mine and the garnish molding and the window didn't come out. I went in the house to find a couple of small screw drivers and I heard a god awfull bang. Went outside to see what it was and there the back window was, Gone. It was laying on the floor of the car. No scratches no cracks. Luckier than heck. Then I read the manual. Wife says its a man thing. Do and then read. She's Right!!!

Last edited by 46chevyfleetline; 05-12-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

Anyold Chevy; Are you near Omaha at all? I'd love to see your Aerosedan. Checked out your project journal. Nice work!!! I'm in Omaha next week form Mon. to Sun.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

re: 48 chevy fleetline rear window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46chevyfleetline
Anyold Chevy; Are you near Omaha at all? I'd love to see your Aerosedan. Checked out your project journal. Nice work!!! I'm in Omaha next week form Mon. to Sun.
You guys got me laughing about the highway part. I looked at the page on the 47 manual which is the same as the 48, but i still cant understand it. Its been to long since i took it out, and i just forgot how i did it. Anyway i found a friend of mine who has done alot of hotrods, and he is going to help me do it. AS you all know im now blind in one eye, and its not so easy for me to see what im doing. Also hes going to put in my one piece windshield. So thanks for all your help. I live 89 miles south of Omaha, but will be out of town next week end and most of the week for more medical test. Anyway thanks for all your help ok.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you'll get it under control. Looking forward to seeing the 48 done. Good luck on the health issues.

All the best;
Old 05-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

re: 48 chevy fleetline rear window

Well i almost had the car done with my own hands, but this year has not been good to me health wise, so its nice to have a friend who said he would help me. I may be blind in both eyes within months, as my only good eye has now got the same problem that took my left eye. All i want to do is to be able to drive my car that took me three years to build and drive it around town in the evenings with my wife next to me and some 60s music playing.With Gods help thats all i ask for. Without this site i may have never got my car done, you all tought me so much and i thank you for that. I will miss all the car shows that i took my Model T to, and had hopes to take my chevy to this year. When the time comes i will give the car to my brother, and he will show it for me and i can at least ride with him and make the best of a bad thing. So as i have posted before, please wear a helmet when welding. Its not worth loosing even one eye. Im only 57 and my life will change soon and its all my fault. and thats not easy to think about everyday. I have three grandchildren that i will not see grow up, and that hurts the worst. Sorry i had to talk so much, but i needed to vent, and have hope that i could save someone else from loosing there eyes. I want no pitty, just do as i ask ok. God bless you all, and i will stay on this forum as long as i can see with my one eye. I have said enough. Keep building guys and gals, and help the youger ones get involved in this great hobby that brings so many friends together.

Last edited by anyoldchevy; 05-12-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: more words

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.