48 Chevy front sheet metal alignment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM

Last journal entry: Dash install completed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

48 Chevy front sheet metal alignment

I have a 48 Chevy Sedan Delivery that I am rodding (please see Bear Lake Rodder project journal). I have the engine in and started to figure out the front end sheet metal; it is ready to go back on the car. I have a Chassis Engineering IFS on the chassis, installed exactly as they instructed. However, I found out that the front fender liners that bolt on the core support on the front are 1.25" short of reaching the holes in the top of the frame where they are supposed to bolt up. I have posted a couple of photos to show what I mean.

The body is on the frame in the only place it can go and the radiator support from Chassis Engineering is in the place they specified. The way I see it, I HAVE to have the fender liners bolt to the frame in the rear where they are supposed to bolt up. That means I will have to bolt a plate on the radiator support cross member that will move the core support rearward 1.25".

Anyone else have had this problem with Chassis Engineering and is my plan correct?? Appreciate any input. I called Chassis and they are working on an answer for me, but I want to see what you all have to add. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender liner doesn't line up.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	72241   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender liner fit issue; 1.25 inches off.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	72242  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,025 Posts
Excuse me if I am not fully understanding your problem. You have a stock frame with the rad support bolted to it and the inner fenders don't reach between the rad support that is bolted to the stock frame and the body that is bolted it as well? The only issue could be the inner fender being bent to clear your suspension or something like that which would effectively "shorten" the inner fender. That is the only thing that makes sense.

Does the inner fender need to be trimmed to clear the new suspension?

If it has a frame clip on it where the front of the frame is different, then the rad support is simply mounted too far forward.

Clarify please.

Brian
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

The fender liner is not bent; it is in perfect shape from when it was on the car before. Both sides are 1.25" short so it isn't just one side. By looking at the stamping, it is clear that the sheetmetal was stamped to go around the bracket on the frame shown in one of the photos, so I don't think that anything else went on the fender liner to bolt to the frame. An "old guy" that is into old Chevs told me it bolts right to the frame, but this is a real butt-scratcher.

Thanks for the response. Once this is resolved I will post the result.
Bear Lake Rodder
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,025 Posts
Is the radiator support in the stock location?

Brian
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

First attatch the inner fenders to the body where they're supposed to go.
Then do what it takes to put the core support where it needs to be in order to fasten to the inner fenders.
What about the fenders? do they bolt up as they're supposed to? Is there per chance, an extra set of holes in the frame for the body mounts? (I kinda doubt it)

All this is assuming that you've not modified the frame other than replacing the old crossmember and front suspension, with the newer stuff.

Try your origional core support, They may have gotten the aftermarket one wrong. (not that it's ever happened before )
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. I decided last night that your suggestion was the only solution (have not heard back from Chassis Engineering yet). The body is mounted on the frame where it has to go and the frame was not modified in any way, except to install the new front and rear suspension. The core support that I am using is the original, but the radiator support that the core support bolts to is from Chassis Engineering. Last night I fabricated a 1/4" steel plate to move the core support toward the rear by the 1.25" I needed to bolt stuff up. I installed the core support and the fender liners bolted up. I have not installed fenders yet, but will post to my project journal when I do.
Thank you for the reply to my post!
Bear Lake Rodder
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

well the pictures which you shared are not completely explaining the problem... So please can share some more photos to understand perfectly your problem and then tell you the best solution.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

I moved the core support back as I mentioned previously and this past weekend I bolted up the fender liners, baffles, and front splash pan and then test-fitted the fenders. Everything bolts up pretty close, pending the inevitable adjustments.
Thank you for the replies and suggestions!
Bear Lake Rodder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender liners, baffles, and front splash pan all installed after core support was moved back 1.2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	72362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fenders fit pretty well, but just getting started with test-fit. Mar. 16.13.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	72363  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley01 View Post
well the pictures which you shared are not completely explaining the problem... So please can share some more photos to understand perfectly your problem and then tell you the best solution.
OK Thanks... glad you replied

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 03-18-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spammer

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.