Hot Rod Forum banner

48 Chevy truck project

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  kso 
#1 ·
Working on picking up this 48 Chevy 3800 series project truck. It's got a dump bed on it.
I need some opinions on what to do with it. I'm stuck between doing a rat rod or hot rod. Would it be a better idea to use the original frame or use like a s10 frame?

#4 ·
You have to ask yourself what will it be used for? Will the family go too? How much money can I spend on the project? Set your objectives first and work backward from there. If you have a family and want to go to rod runs a pickup cab is not going to cut it (example only). Make a plan and STICK to it or else there is a good chance it will never get finished.

#5 ·
It's my belief (and just an opinion) that some day in the future the value and interest there will be in having it much like it is now, meaning I'd keep it in it's original form as a big 'ol fun dump truck w/ original frame etc. So I'd go "rat-rod"-ish in style but no cutting or mods that can't be reversed, and again, keep it's dump bed, truck wheels and all (maybe a better motor). Many people would walk past some pretty nice cars to get a look at that piece of history, when you ask kids what cars they remembered "at the show", it'll be one.

Let the real rat-rods be built from less-complete stuff and keep in mind, someday they will go out of style.

#9 ·
Thanks it's gonna need quite a bit of body work. Other than that I think the frame is pretty solid. Im gonna keep it mostly original other than updating it. I'm thinking about putting sbc in it and maybe some sort of 5 speed manual trans. Since I don't plane on keeping the hydraulic dump.
I'll try to keep you guys posted as I go along.
If any of you guys have any leads on a parts truck in the Illinois area let me know I could use one....:thumbup:

#14 ·
Wow. Ugh...um, yeah. It is fixable, you'd just have to decide you want to get into metalwork as a hobby. Five year project, I think, and you'd need a shed to have it under.

That said, I myself would go for it (I've done a lot of metal work in my life, and I've got a lot more to do if I'm stayin' into cars). That it's sorta a member of the family makes it worth it.

#13 ·
i myself would run and hide.

or if you really got the hots, do what Sam said. sams are smart. just ask me. one more time.

these pigs (mine included) only need ONE PART to rock it! the one Sam mentioned above. a whole new chassis. you will NOT LIKE DRIVING THAT THING the way it is. TRUST US. Sams are smart, ask one more time, GO AHEAD ASK ONE MORE TIME MF! (in case you didn't know that was in my Sam L. Jackson voice). there you go, another Sam, Listen to the man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.