Hot Rod Forum banner

48 dodge coupe patch panels

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Got all the small parts ready to paint just need to wet sand with 400 and seal with black spi epoxy. Made some patch panels because the lower 1/4s and rockers are getting thin. Coated both the inside of patch and bare metal on the car with weld though primer before welding them on. Got the rocker to do yet on this side but had to go get some tin. I'am 62 and the guy that owns the car is a little older so would think they will out last both of us. Also included a shot of the inside of my shop where my office& bathroom will be when done.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Yeah, I hate that .especially when your hammer drops through the hole and its inside someones door....
I've beating on my 48 all week and it's wearing me out ..You gotta hit these things hard to move that metal around...and I think these dollies are about three times heavier too......even my good arm is sore

#9 ·
I've got the body almost ready for paint. All the patches done,Coat of spi epoxy, Three coats of 2-k primer that has dried for almost a week now. Started to sand and block today. A few small spots to add some glaze otherwise not to bad. Got all the small parts painted last week. Should start to paint the body this week.House of color base-with spi clear. Not that impressed with the house of color stuff. You get very little flow out of it and its all metallic so its hard to get on even and not have it dry.

Attachments

#10 ·
aw man,I missed all the good stuff...no door bottoms replaced ,no floors,what about the bumper extensions? They're always rotten... :mad:
I'm in the process of putting power locks (and the stricker) from an 05 Impala ,in my 48..Other than cutting the V for the striker the dang things fit like they were made for it....They fit even better when I figured out I had the right lock in the left door. :sweat:
Cant wait to see this painted I dont care much for HOC either,way over priced ,I go with almost anything before using that.

#12 ·
Bumper extentions had a couple small holes to weld up [maybe had fog lights on it at one time]other than that they where nice. Those are painted and returned to customer. Had about 4 small patches to put in floors those are done. I'll shoot a photo of that today for you guys. Bottom side of fenders I put epoxy on and shot with paintable undercoat yesterday. Hope it helps with the rock stars because this is a driver. THey are steel fenders so not as bad as fiberglass but a hard hit from a rock off the tire can crack the paint. Only reason its going house of color is thats what the guy wants on it.He picked up the paint. Told him SPI clear or no go.

#13 ·
I put two small patches on the passenger floor, Three on the drivers side, and fenders are ready to paint. Body needs one more pass with 320-400 then I'll wax and grease, tac off and shoot a coat of spi epoxy let dry over night scuff with red scuff pad tac, seal and paint. I wouldn't normally seal after epoxy but house of color wants a black sealer under this color and my jobber didn't have any black epoxy so I had no choice.

Attachments

#17 ·
hkestes said:
Your first post says 48 Dodge and I see you are in MN, so this must be a Canadian Dodge. The Canadian Dodges are Plymouth bodies with Dodge grill, stainless and badging.

With the true Dodge bodies the front fenders extend into the doors.
This is true ,I was wondering why the front fenders looked like they would bolt right on my plymouth...heres a pic of a dodge..
Them Canadians are tricky.....

Attachments

#19 ·
deadbodyman said:
This is true ,I was wondering why the front fenders looked like they would bolt right on my plymouth...heres a pic of a dodge..
Them Canadians are tricky.....
deadbodyman, what you show is a Chrysler not a dodge. The Chrysler had the stainless that wrapped around the fenders and to the wheel opening. Also the hood is flat across the front on the Chrysler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.