48 dodge mopar big block swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 12:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

48 dodge mopar big block swap

Hey, I'm doing an engine swap on my 48 dodge 4 door. I'm putting a 413 rb heavy duty into it. Can anybody help me, and get me a part number and cost, from the plydo cat. For the motor mounts if there is any. For this type of app. Also any comments on doing this or to watch out for will be helpful. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM

413 into 48 Dodge

I know of no fabricated kits for your swap. I might have a few tips for you though. You stated that the 413 was a heavy duty-does this mean truck engine? Does it look like a regular 383 or 440 or not? I have no experiance with the truck engines. What type of front suspension are you using? I would recommend using what in Mopar land are called spool mounts. They are a thru bolt design, They are not available new anymore but you can get NOS ones on ebay if you watch. The easy way is find a 1974 and up C-Body or 1973 and up B-Body big block mounts from the salvage yard and burn the old rubber centers out and replace the center with polyurethene inserts from Just Suspension. Its fairly easy making the frame saddles that weld on the frame, made out of heavy enough flat steel plates. Make templates from cardboard. Don't be afraid to offset the engine to the passenger side some. Mother Mopar did with the muscle cars and all the other older rear wheel drives. 1970's Dodge pickups with 400 and 440's used a center dump exhaust manifold -though they only had around 2" or a hair smaller outlets. I'm sure they would fit your application. Give us some more info concerning front suspension and 413 type (truck or car). I assume you are using 727 transmission or maybe a 518?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 PM

more info on the engine and tranny

Thanks for the input lemondana. When I said heavy duty, its beacuse of the mammoth water pump that sits real high on the engine, which oulets into the engine and also the heads. The heads also have a different exhaust manifold bolt pattern. It doe have a center exhaust dump,but its directly above the steering box. To remedy this I am going to have a set of stock 440 heads rebuilt, and order some headers that bypass it. Also I had to move the crank pully dish that the frame had about an inch and half back. In order to clear the motor mounts also from the steering box. I got some spool motor mounts off of a '79 plymouth v8. They were a 1/4 " off across and the third bolt on the bottom of the mount didn't even line up. So I cut out kind of like a half coffin shape out of 1/4" flat stock, and welded it on the mounts now the mounts fit like they were meant for it. All that's left now is to weld in some tabs to the frame. As for the suspension I'm going to run shorter coil springs and relocate the shock absorbers to the inside of the springs. And remove and replace the kingpins. The engine came attached to a auto 727 with a short tail shaft with a flat end on it where four bolts stick out which looks odd? Any comments on that should I keep it. Or sell it? Does the suspension sound ok.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=48wolf]Thanks for the input lemondana. When I said heavy duty, its beacuse of the mammoth water pump that sits real high on the engine, which oulets into the engine and also the heads. The heads also have a different exhaust manifold bolt pattern. It doe have a center exhaust dump,but its directly above the steering box. To remedy this I am going to have a set of stock 440 heads rebuilt, and order some headers that bypass it. Also I had to move the crank pully dish that the frame had about an inch and half back. In order to clear the motor mounts also from the steering box. I got some spool motor mounts off of a '79 plymouth v8. They were a 1/4 " off across and the third bolt on the bottom of the mount didn't even line up. So I cut out kind of like a half coffin shape out of 1/4" flat stock, and welded it on the mounts now the mounts fit like they were meant for it. All that's left now is to weld in some tabs to the frame. As for the suspension I'm going to run shorter coil springs and relocate the shock absorbers to the inside of the springs. And remove and replace the kingpins. The engine came attached to a auto 727 with a short tail shaft with a flat end on it where four bolts stick out which looks odd? Any comments on that should I keep it. Or sell it? Does the suspension sound ok.["everybody should know, that the angle of the dangle times the heat of the meat equals the mass of the ***."]
Old 03-25-2008, 11:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

You might try going HERE for a lot of Mopar engine swap kits and info.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 AM

Thanks for the sites centerline, schumacher is where I'm going order the headers I was talking about. it also got me thinking about torque straps.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.