48 ford f1 front axle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

48 ford f1 front axle

Hi, does anyone know if the front axle on this vechicle is offset or centered?I get a 1" in difference when I measure from the frame to backing plates.The passenger side tire when backing up �nd turning wheel all the way to the right hits the frame.The tires and rim spacing are the same.Also the passenger fender wheelwell height is 1" in higher than the drivers side, Thanks any help would be great

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM

No they are centered. you can take an axle off a 48 all way up through 52 and will work on any year of those with all parts interchanging
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 PM

48f1 axle

Thanks, mine is 1 in. Toward passenger side, not centered, u bolts are fine its been to spring shop 2x checked arch in springs both the same, pins are fine, it is high on this side and out on this side like someone yrs ago compensated for frame problem and shifted axle over.It has fiberglass fenders on it so I don't know what happened, thanks for your info, steve
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,009 Posts
Have you actually measured the axle to the frame to see if it's back? I have to tell you, those fiberglass fenders could be what is wrong and not the axle or wheel!

LOL, I finished up the body and paint on an Auburn Boat tail speedster replica years ago and was blown away at how different the fenders where one side to the other! It was so far off I cut the wheel well off one and moved it forward about an inch.

Don't count out ANYTHING, have your eyes and mind wide open when you are looking at stuff like this.

Brian
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 AM

48f1 axle

Thanks, I will measure that today.I have measured the frame to the spring perches, frame to backing plates, frame to outside of fenders, no matter where I measure the axle is not centered to Frame.I had truck on stands grabbed passenger tire and turned it in all the way, the tire hits the frame, no clearance at all, turned drivers side tire all the way in I have 2-3" of clearance on frame.When I measure axle side to side off frame its a 1" difference between the two, thanks again steve
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

You have cross measured the FRAME alone right? That is where you want to start, CONFIRM that the FRAME is straight.

Measure from A to E and from C to F and from A to B and C to D. Have you done this? It sounds like it IS the axle that is some how off, but FIRST you need to confirm the frame being straight.

Brian

Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

Once you have done the FRAME it's self and you know it's straight. Reasonably straight is what we are talking, seldom would an old frame like this be perfect, expect a few 1/16ths inch off as normal.

Measure the mounting points at the spring. We are talking the bolt that holds the shackle AT the frame. Spots 3 or 4 and 5 and 6.

Measuring from 1 to 5 on both sides and 2 to 4 on both sides and then cross from 1 to 4 and 7 to 6 on both sides to be sure they are all the same.

It is only after this is done can you really go on to measuring the axle with confidence that you are in fact measuring the axle. Without establishing that the frame and it's points are correct you can't measure from the frame to the axle.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

NOW we can get to the nitty gritty and measure the axle.

From 1 to 9 from 3 to 10 (the king pin) or from 1 to 11 at the U bolt that holds the axle to the spring.

If it is just the axle that is off, now you will know. Now with these measurements you can look closely at the axles mounting points on the springs, what is different side to side?

Brian
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 AM

48 f1 axle

I have a friend coming over to help with croo reference.Thanks for the diagraham,it makes it alot easier.As soon as I get framr measurements I will let you know what I find.If it is not the frame but the axle I was wondering what would cause it to be off to one side.The spring perches in rear are stiil riveted,does not look like anything has been moved,the ubolts are straight up and down.thank you again for your time and effort,steve
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

It's pretty odd, what can change from the spring mount, to the king pin boss, not a whole lot! That is one chunk of forged steel, not a whole lot can happen between the two that wouldn't be ovbvious.

I am dying to hear what you find, post some photos.

Brian
Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM

48 f1 axle

Ok started measuring frame, so far nothing out more than 1/16".looked at axle and been stuck there.Took measurements on jackstands wheel turned full left, passenger side measured rear of fender wheel opening 16 3/4 " drivers side wheel turned full right 18" rear of fender opening, pass. Side turned full fight off frame front opening 20 1/2" drivers side turned full left frame front opening 17" measured hub grease cap down pass. Side 12 1/2 center, drivers side 13 1/4" seems like one side of axle off? I will keep on measuring, thanks steve
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

Forget about the body and measurements to the fenders. You need to know if the axle is straight to the frame, the fenders and such mean nothing.

You really need to post some photos, what do you mean by the "frame opening"?

Brian
Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 AM

48 f1 axle

These measurements are from frame to tire, not fenders.What I meant by frame opening is the front tire measurement front and rear of wheelwell with tires turned, I am not including fender measurements, strictly frame to tire and these numbers are off to begin with, I am putting truck on lift this weekend to finish axle measurements and take pictures, thanks keep you posted, steve
Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by train2
These measurements are from frame to tire, not fenders.What I meant by frame opening is the front tire measurement front and rear of wheelwell with tires turned, I am not including fender measurements, strictly frame to tire and these numbers are off to begin with, I am putting truck on lift this weekend to finish axle measurements and take pictures, thanks keep you posted, steve

I got you, but stick with the AXLE location, the wheels and tires when turned will come later in trying to figure this out. You want to know where the "solid" parts (frame) are and you have done that. Now you look at the parts that are bolted "solid" to that frame like the axle at the spring like in the last drawing. Those points should NEVER be off more than an 1/8" or so tops (realistically, some times a little more can be worked with).

The wheels when turned, now that could be something like a bent steering arm on the spindle. While everything else is straight, a bent steering arm on the spindle would make one wheel turn in more than the other. The good point is that my doing all the basic measurments you would have narrowed it down to just that one part so you know what to change.

Of course the pit man arm on the box wrong or a twisted sector shaft could give you a lock to lock that is wrong with it going one way more than the other.

First be sure that the axle is "square" on the frame from the last drawing going from #1 to 11 and 2 to 12 and then cross measuring 4 to 11 and 3 to 12.

Brian

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.