Hot Rod Forum banner

48 ford truck w/T model front axle

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  tripp68 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,working on a 48 ford rat rod truck project that I want to put a model t front I Beam axle on(as it is the only thing I have right now).My question is ,will this axle be strong enough to handle a good bit of HP?Also is it poss. to have this type of axle dropped and drilled?Where the king pins go it is a forked type of axle.

#2 · (Edited)
#4 · (Edited)
All of the Ford axles were forged.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_T
Scroll down to the suspension section.
http://www.modelt.ca/specifications-fs.html
Scroll down to "model T Ford specifications,1909"

But even though they are forged, I think the T axle is still too weak for use under anything being built to drive around on todays highways.

Also, if it is a stock T axle, you will have a hell of a time getting brakes on it. Model T's had a band brake at the transmission, and none on the front wheels.

Later, mikey

#5 ·
OOOOOOOOOOO, I wouldn't do that unless you rig weighs under 1500 lbs. Still, no brakes, 80 year old cast steel that more than likely has inclusions in it and a myriad of other problems. Nope, rethought it. I wouildn't do that under any circumstances. You can get a good axle for around 200$ :)

#13 ·
48Ford truck

This is how I would set up the kind of frame I think you are looking for.

Front end...Model A with "37 to '40 spindles, "40 to '48 brakes, split wishbones, "40 type tie rod ends and "48 to '52 F-1 steering.

Frame...measure the following: cab floor, engine, radiator shell, plus 6''= length of front rails. Length of the box =length of the rear rails. Hiegth of the box on the cab = heigth of the frame kick, remember, you can move the floor of the box up for room for your rear suspension and to get a low profile.

Front crossmember... for a suicide front end, use a 2 1/2'' round tube 3/16'' wall thickness with a spring perch centered on it. You can set the frame as low or high as you want it by the heigth of the spring pearch. This is a better method that Z ing the front rails.

Hope this helps, Youngster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.