48 GMC and Chevy body parts inter-changability - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2004, 02:17 AM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

48 GMC and Chevy body parts inter-changability

This is for those of you that know the early GMC and Chevy trucks well:

1. After looking at some pics it seems as if the front fenders on the 48 GMC and Chevy are the same. Is this so and can they be inter-changed?

2. I assume the doors are the same but are the doors on the pick-up truck the same as those on the panel truck?

It would be MUCH easier for me to source these parts from a Chevy than from a GMC. The Chevy was imported to South Africa in greater numbers than the GMC and was also more popular.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

They will interchange.....................you may have to relocate some trim holes etc, but the sheet metal is the same.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last photo:

Smile Cool...

That is absolutely cool. I know just the right guys who's arm I can go and bend for these parts. In fact, he's coming to fetch the two GMC engines and gearboxes I've got sometime this week. I must just say when I'll be home early enough from work. He's hired help knock off at 5pm. It will most probably today as I'm going to see the doctor this morning with my flu which is worse than last week when I was also booked off work. For some reason it got worse instead of better even with the medicines. I let you guys know how it goes with getting and fitting these parts. Take a look at what mine currently looks like and you'll see why it will save me a LOT of time:

Last edited by Neophyte; 05-23-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by poncho62
They will interchange.....................you may have to relocate some trim holes etc, but the sheet metal is the same.
This is not completely true. The front sheet metal is slightly different, especially the hood and if memory serves the front fenders are slightly different around the grill as well.

Take a look at the two pics below and compare them They are both 48s one GMC and one Chevy. The differences should be obvious. From the firewall back they are the same though.

Centerline

Old 05-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sorry...my mistake. You may end up having to put a whole Chevy front end on your GMC..............I like the looks of the Chevy better anyways...but, that's just me.

From the looks of your pictures, you are in for a bundle of work.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last photo:

Oh well thanks anyway...

My possible source is coming today to collect the 2 GMC engines and gearboxes I've got. I'll go with him and take a fender and door with to compare. I'll much rather go through the pain and agony of fixing what I've got than change to a Chevy nose. That I will definitely NOT do. I haven't done much research locally yet but so far my GMC panel truck is the only one in South Africa I know about. The only other one my source knew about was apparently exported to Europe.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:40 AM

Doors on a panel truck are not exactly the same as those on a pickup. They will fit, though you will have to do a lot of tweaking to get them perfect. I have a set of 48 pickup doors on my 48 Suburban and it seems like the top front edge of the door is a little larger. This prevents the door from closing properly.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last photo:

Thanks Burb

My source as quite few pickups but only three 48's. The only spare good doors he could offer are 53's but they are the same size as 48's after some measuring. The two problems with the 53's are that the window frame differ and the belt line stops just before the rear edge of the door. I will however take the doors and do a transplant of the necessary sheet metal onto my doors. Due to exchange rates and shipping costs patch panels will be too expensive, remember I'm getting these doors as part of a swop, so doesn't cost me anything.

The fenders however are the same, contrary to Centerline's earlier statement. The only difference is that the GMC fender has holes for the park lights and the Chevy not. The holes where the grill surround of the GMC bolts on might also differ but that's obviously not an issue. Yes Centerline, I was quite aware that the hoods differ and that's exactly why I didn't bother asking about it because I know what the answer to that question is. The fenders I found also has the same amount of surface rust as my old one BUT with one small, easily repairabledent and no rust perforation. I mean, anything to save some panelbeating work or what?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.