48 Lincoln drivetrain - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 07:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

48 Lincoln Drivetrain?

Hi;Would appreciatte some advice here!Working on my 48 Lincoln!Looking at running gear from 88 TownCar.Rear end doesn't fit so need a 9"ford or something,what about leaving the original in it and using one of those adapters to use open drive shaft??This would simplfy things and save cost and they were pretty good units I think?Then I could use the 302 and the OD transmission,but then I hear that there might be a problem with some of these transmissions when not using the comnputer as plan to use a 4 BBl and remove all that stuff from the engine!This will be strictly a pleasure car not a racer as now have to treat that Zephry tranmission with respect or it will break too!Any thoughts!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 07:39 PM

700R4 against 53 Cad 331 V8?

Hi;Anyone have any idea on this.It's in my 48 Continental have been asking questions re;install of motor and trans.from an 88 Town Car.Sounds like several problems and actually not any more power than the Cad.As a simpler swap wonder if could mate one of those 700 series trans.to the old 331 Cad and use the open driveshaft adapter on the banjo rear end should make a fairly simple swap.HaHa!!Ever see a simple swap!!have no knowledge of these trans except that see many cars with them.Problem other one was an AOD?ford that apparently required use of the computer etc to operate it!Rear ratio is for OD already so should be good with one of these OD trans.Have no complaint with the Cad.Can't change to 12 volt system with the OD unless can find a 12 Volt solenoid for it and adapt it to The Lincoln transmission.Had a street rod with a 350 and turbo 400 wanted to change and didn't sound to be to costly but sold the car and bought this Lincoln.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Wilcap Adapters makes a adapter to install later model engines to your current 48 Lincoln transmission. I had a 40 Ford with a SBC done this way. Worked out real well ...
Here is a link to Wilcap's page ...

http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.htm
Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 AM

Hi Duece;Thanks for the info did go to there site.If I read there charts this kind of swap not possible they make no adapters to allow use of new 4 spd autos.Did email them see what they have to say.Thanks anyway!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

NO ... their adapters hook a later model engine to your original transmission. That way you do not have to change the rear end ... or cut up the car. IF you want to change almost everything ... A Ford pickup rear end has the correct 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern but is a 9 inch series rear. Then you can install a later V8 and automatic transmission. A friend of mine did this on his 47 Lincoln and used a 454 Chevrolet and a Turbo 400 transmission. He added a Gear Vendors OverDrive to the Turbo 400. Worked out nice.

No pictures ... this was done pre digital camera ownership for me and my friend has since passed away ... and the widow sold the Lincoln ... ( but got Big Bucks $$$ for it )

Randy ...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.