Hot Rod Forum banner

48 plymouth to s-10 frame

11K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pasadenahotrod 
#1 ·
are there any "how-tos" on switching a '48 Plymouth 4-Door to an s-10 frame?

i found the how-to on the '48 pick-up to an s-10 frame and some other info. do the basics apply to a 4-door car, too? ive never done a frame swap before, so lots of pictures and a walk-thru would be great. im confident i could make it work if i dove into it, but id like to get some good research going.

#2 ·
These are pretty cars that can still be had reasonably. I had a pretty nice '47 many years ago. I wouldn't mind another if I ever get the urge for a fat-fendered car again. Unless someone here has done it, it's pretty much a case of just seeing how it would work. What are the wheelbases? Other than any adaptations required there, I don't see why it wouldn't work out well. The S10 is a great and proven platform and like many pick-up frames, well suited to the pre-perimeter framed cars.

#4 ·
Don't do it.
There are disc brake conversion kits out there, rack & pinion steering con versions.
Those 42-48 Plymouths ride very well and handle well in their stock form and all the parts are available to rebuild them.

Even converting to a Mustang II style front end setup would be preferable to trying a frame swap.

Why, you ask?

Because a frame swap usually doen't work out well and in fact most are abandoned at the point where a good old car has been so whacked on and is now frameless and ends up getting parted out instead of saved for the street where it belongs.
That's why.

#5 ·
i wanted to get a 350 with a manual tranny w/ over drive in the car. also, i wanted a new rear-end. i can get an entire s-10 for $800, and make little bit of money back parting out the s-10 and keeping what i wanted.

so, i was thinking it would be easier/cheaper to just put the body on a new frame instead of welding in a $1000+ subframe and buying a new rearend.

lately ive been thinking about keeping the car totaly stock. everything it has is still all original. but......theres nothin like a 350 :)

im pretty good with cars, but this will be my biggest project so far. any other input from more experienced guys would be appreciated.

#6 ·
There is plenty of room in there for a 350 Chevy but watch the steering box/column clearance, you may have to offset the engine/tran an inch or so.
The rear end is just a bolt in deal after you change the axle pads.

If it runs you can easily sell the drivetrain (engine/trans/shaft/rearend) to somebody else to recoup a little cash.

Best wishes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.