48 plymouth to s-10 frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

48 plymouth to s-10 frame

are there any "how-tos" on switching a '48 Plymouth 4-Door to an s-10 frame?

i found the how-to on the '48 pick-up to an s-10 frame and some other info. do the basics apply to a 4-door car, too? ive never done a frame swap before, so lots of pictures and a walk-thru would be great. im confident i could make it work if i dove into it, but id like to get some good research going.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

These are pretty cars that can still be had reasonably. I had a pretty nice '47 many years ago. I wouldn't mind another if I ever get the urge for a fat-fendered car again. Unless someone here has done it, it's pretty much a case of just seeing how it would work. What are the wheelbases? Other than any adaptations required there, I don't see why it wouldn't work out well. The S10 is a great and proven platform and like many pick-up frames, well suited to the pre-perimeter framed cars.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

has anybody used the AD-Engineering frame swap kits? has any body attemted to use the kit on a plymouth?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Don't do it.
There are disc brake conversion kits out there, rack & pinion steering con versions.
Those 42-48 Plymouths ride very well and handle well in their stock form and all the parts are available to rebuild them.

Even converting to a Mustang II style front end setup would be preferable to trying a frame swap.

Why, you ask?

Because a frame swap usually doen't work out well and in fact most are abandoned at the point where a good old car has been so whacked on and is now frameless and ends up getting parted out instead of saved for the street where it belongs.
That's why.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

i wanted to get a 350 with a manual tranny w/ over drive in the car. also, i wanted a new rear-end. i can get an entire s-10 for $800, and make little bit of money back parting out the s-10 and keeping what i wanted.

so, i was thinking it would be easier/cheaper to just put the body on a new frame instead of welding in a $1000+ subframe and buying a new rearend.

lately ive been thinking about keeping the car totaly stock. everything it has is still all original. but......theres nothin like a 350

im pretty good with cars, but this will be my biggest project so far. any other input from more experienced guys would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM

There is plenty of room in there for a 350 Chevy but watch the steering box/column clearance, you may have to offset the engine/tran an inch or so.
The rear end is just a bolt in deal after you change the axle pads.

If it runs you can easily sell the drivetrain (engine/trans/shaft/rearend) to somebody else to recoup a little cash.

Best wishes.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.