Hot Rod Forum banner

49'-54' chevy power steering

31K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  54ba 
#1 ·
does anyone have any info about using a astro van power steering box on a 49'-54 chevy car. in the archives i read something about reversing the gears in the box but i think they meant the pitman arm can anyone shed some light on this. thanks :D

#2 ·
For those searching this subject.
An update to this post if you want to put an Astro/Safari van power steering box in a 49-54 Chev, it is easily possible.

First you do not have to reverse a Astro van box it already comes like that from GM. There are two different PS boxes, the 2WD box is reversed to the AWD box. The 2WD box is the one you need.
Second you need to re-index the pitman arm. You will need to find an offset pitman arm so to make clearance from the exhaust to the pitman shaft of the box (only on a V8 conversion).

You can find these kits on ebay but it is much cheaper to make your own brackets.
Also check this link out.
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273586/post/2169458/hl/power+steering/fromsearch/1/#2169458

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/261018/post/2164982/hl//fromsearch/1/#2164982

#3 ·
Two8tyThree said:
For those searching this subject.
An update to this post if you want to put an Astro/Safari van power steering box in a 49-54 Chev, it is easily possible.

First you do not have to reverse a Astro van box it already comes like that from GM. There are two different PS boxes, the 2WD box is reversed to the AWD box. The 2WD box is the one you need.
Second you need to re-index the pitman arm. You will need to find an offset pitman arm so to make clearance from the exhaust to the pitman shaft of the box (only on a V8 conversion).

You can find these kits on ebay but it is much cheaper to make your own brackets.

looks like a nice conversion, putting my engine in my truck gives me problems to fit in a power steering box. it's a 3100 1949 paneltruck. by any chance any idea what box would be best to start with.,?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.