Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Body - Exterior (
-   -   49 chevy covering the hole left by the gas tank filler hose. (

One Month Wonder 10-02-2012 02:31 PM

49 chevy covering the hole left by the gas tank filler hose.
I have a 1949 chevy pickup. I've moved the gas tank out of the cab and under the bed. I was hoping there would be a 'patch panel' piece that I could get to weld over the hole left by fill tube that used to stick out of the cab. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? If I have to fabricate the piece it's going to be a pain in the butt cuz it's curved in both directions, up and down AND sideways.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.


swvalcon 10-03-2012 07:19 AM

If you have a peice of pipe about the size of the gas filler hole. Set your tin for your patch over the top end of the pipe. Now you can hammer a crown both way in your patch using the pipe end for support.

timothale 10-03-2012 07:22 AM

battery sawsall
Go to a pick your part and cut out a piece above the hole and you will have minimum hammer work , My son calls it cut and paste custom work.

MARTINSR 10-03-2012 09:36 AM

It's such a small piece fabbing something like that does't get any easier than this one. Get your feet wet fabricating, this is the perfect start!


One Month Wonder 10-03-2012 10:07 AM

Thanks for the input, just the info I was looking for. I'll post a photo of the process of it in my journal.

DanielC 10-03-2012 10:12 AM

Do what MARTINSR said. If the area had a really deep crown, cut a wedge out of the flat metal, weld it back together, and then finish the crown.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.