Hot Rod Forum banner

'49 Chevy PU Gas Tank Relocation

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Smokeytires 
#1 ·
I'm building a '49 Chevy Pick-up with a Chevy 350, TH350 trans., Camero rear-end. I would like to move the gas tank out of the cab and under the bed. Has anyone made this conversion and what tank did you use? And what did you do for a filler? I'm open for suggestions.
Ed

#2 ·
I don't know if this will help but, I used a 79' monza fuel tank between the frame rails on a 64' GMC! I also used the filler neck, by routing out one of the boards in the bed. The cap did stick up a little though, I had to be careful when I actually used it to haul things!

#4 ·
Jack, I just looked at one of these tanks yesterday. The owner said they were and option and referred to as the Farmer's Special. Until then, I was under the impression all this series PU had the tank behind the seat. Sure wish I had the capability to "copy and mass produce" cause there is definitely a need!!

Trees

#6 ·
I was just laying under the truck this morning and it doesn't look like it would be too hard to get almost any small truck tank to fit and run the filler up through the bottom of the bed and out the side of the box. I'd have to fabrecate some kind of guard for the filler hose as it passes through the bed in case I ever use the bed for hauling. I'm having some difficulty figuring out the mounting brackets, but I'm sure that when I get to the wrecking yard looking for a tank I'll figure that out. Next, I need to work on the door handles...but that'll be a different post.

Thanks to everyone for there imput
Ed.

#7 ·
I could be back at square one now. I didn't take into consideration my duel exhaust. Right now it stops right at the back of the mufflers. I want to plumb the pipes out the back. How much space should I leave between the exhaust and the tank?
Ed

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: hiimed ]</p>

#8 ·
If you don't mind the tank sticking up through the bed a little, you can buy a 16 gallon poly tank from summit which will fit between the frame rails and you can run the exhaust under it. You can put a false bottom on the bed and cover the whole tank. Put a flip door in the bottom of the bed.

#9 ·
The origionaal tank mounted in front of the rear axle on the pass. side. The filler neck goes out thru the quarter round panel between bottom of bed side and running board and turns up about 75 degrees. This keeps every thing below the bed floor and side board. The mounting brackets were bolted inside the frame and stuck out about 14" and one was in front of tank and other was in back with two bands affixing the tank to the brackets. This truck had duals that looked complex but really not bad. The drivers side was straight forward, but the Pax side bent over to almost touching the drivers side pipe and then bent back to the right side. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow and post since the truck is in rework and the bed is off.

Trees

#11 ·
as long as were on the subject, i may have said that a late 70 suburban tank will fit in sliders original 55 truck's frame rails, and i have to wonder if it actually will because, although that's what i used, i forgot i have a 79 chevy frame now. the width of the frames is very very close, but i'm not sure if the 55's is narrower and if it is it won't fit because it just barely fits in there now.. i ran some all-thread rod down from the frame, put some thick rubber over some shallow uni-strut, and hung the tank from that. used the stock nozzel, with alittle extention, up to inside one of my compartments of my service box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.