49 chevy: putting in a 350/350 questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 03:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

49 chevy: putting in a 350/350 questions

I am putting in a 350/350 combo in my 2 door 49 deluxe. I got a 350 from a 73 chevy van so the rear end is way too big. Does any one have any suggestions on what would be the best rear end for this application? Any other suggestion for the swap?
your input is greatly appreciated.
Memo

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

Blastered

First off let me say welcome to the board

Now when you say that the rearend is to big are you talking side to side or are you talking that the differential in the center is to large, I don't know if you got this from the van but was it a 3/4 ton van? You maybe able to go to a smaller rearend from side to side or wheel to wheel if you get one from a s10 pickup or camaro, or you can go ford, normally the rearend is to wide for the vehicle and there are many others that are available at your local wrecking yard that will fit your 49 chevy. If you have your old rearend you can measure from inside drum to drum that way you have a standard measurement to start with.
Lots of good advice here on the board, I myself am good at giving but don't handle my own to well sometimes.
Welcome again

30dee
Old 07-23-2005, 11:49 PM

Blastered,

I have a 58 Vette rear in my 49. Fit is awesome. I can get up to N50's in there if I want and up to 29" tire.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Nomaddaddy

Last photo:

49 Chevy rearend

I have done this swap to 3 different chevy's. The best rear end I found for the application, is a S-10 4WD pickup or blazer. The rear end must be from a 4WD to be the correct width.

This will give you a little more clearance to the fenders for a little wider tire.
It will have the 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern and all you have to do is buy metric thread lig nuts. You will have to reposition or weld on new spring perches and drill the centering pin bolt hole 3/4 of an inch forward of its current location if you plan to use the stock springs. This will center the tire in the wheel opening. These are available in many different ratios so you can choose the right one for the trans you are running.

Happy Hotrodding and keep the shinny side up!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:39 AM

thanks

Thanks for all the help guys!
The rear end of the van it took the engine out of is to long, its from a 73 chevy 3/4 van. It looks like i better hit those junk yards for the rear end.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:53 PM

Hey Noma - What Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomaddaddy
I have done this swap to 3 different chevy's. The best rear end I found for the application, is a S-10 4WD pickup or blazer. The rear end must be from a 4WD to be the correct width.

This will give you a little more clearance to the fenders for a little wider tire.
It will have the 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern and all you have to do is buy metric thread lig nuts. You will have to reposition or weld on new spring perches and drill the centering pin bolt hole 3/4 of an inch forward of its current location if you plan to use the stock springs. This will center the tire in the wheel opening. These are available in many different ratios so you can choose the right one for the trans you are running.

Happy Hotrodding and keep the shinny side up!
Hey Noma,
I may need to do this. I am having problems with my rear. What year of Blazer or S10 are you refering to for this swap and why the 4 wheel drive.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Nomaddaddy

Last photo:

S10 rearend

You can use an 1983 up 4 wheel drive rearend. The reason it needs to be 4WD is the 4Wd rearend is 4 inches wider than the 2WD.

Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:31 PM

Rear end

I am doing a 51 and using a 55 rear end, there are still some of these laying around.
Chassis Engineering sells a kit which makes 10 bolts almost a bolt in if you have deep pockets. (I don't)
Old 09-15-2005, 09:27 AM

re: 49 chev rear end

Hey Nomo;
See from pic you have '54 and have used S-10 RE? I am putting together a '53 have 400SB/th350, and was ready to go out and buy Camero/FB posi REnd for Big $$ when I read your post..
This is a Novice/ budget rat rod project. I am sure that I can find an S-10 RE much cheaper. . Is the s-10 equal to the task? Is the conv.more difficult? '83-what year?, What problems did you/ will I run into? What'd you use for e-brake? Do you know of any springs (wider 2 1/2") adaptable,I plan on using existing springs for now, as those kits are around $500? What'd you use for Driveshaft?
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2005, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

Here is a link that may help during your search. It helped me when looking for an axle for my 39 GMC.

http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspe...tml#Suspension
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Nomaddaddy

Last photo:

S-10 Rear end

I really ran into no problems. You will have to cut the spring perches off of the S-10 rear end and purchase new one to re-locate them to fit the width of your springs. Also if you use your stock springs, you will have to drill a new spring centering pin hole in the new spring perches aboput 3/4 of an inch forward to center the tires in the wheel well.

As far as the drive line goes. If you have a fron yoke that fits in the trans you plan to use, stick it in the trans at the proper depth making sure you leave enough play for suspension travel moving the driveline and then measure from the center of the ujoint to the center of the pinion yoke on the rearend once you get it installed. What I did was call my trusted wrecking yard that had a pile of drive shafts and told him what trans and rea end and lenght and presto, a drive line the perfect lenght.

I have had very good luck using this rear end. The last 54 I ran one in had 392 torque and 406 horsepower with a non lockup 700R4 and 343 S-10 rearend, It never broke even at the drag strip. A friend of mine runs 600 HP small blocks in a 2 wheel drive S-10 and has only broken 1.

Remember, this rear end must be from a 4 wheel drive to be the proper width. I have used years ranging from 1983 to 1989

Happy rodding, and keep the shiny side up!!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Nomaddaddy

Last photo:

Stock 53 springs

I have ran the stock springs in all but one 54 I built. What I found is the stock springs work just as good as the set of Posies I used once. The stock springs really let the rear squat hard which give you better traction off the line.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.