49 chevy truck Chassis swap 80 Camaro questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

49 chevy truck Chassis swap 80 Camaro questions *UPDATE with Pics

Ok I bought a 1980 Camaro and We will be picking up the 49 Chevy truck tomorrow. So I have a few questions.

1. What rear end came with this truck and can I use the Camaro rear end instead?

2. Same question for the rear suspension.

3. Does anyone have a step by step for doing this chassis swap? New Interiors thank you for your help so far.

4. Should I use the wiring harness from the Camaro?

5. What else can I use off the Camaro?

6. Brake system for the rear and suggestions?

I know I may be asking alot here but this is my first time to swap a chassis and work on a vehicle older than me. I'm really pumped about tackling this though. I would appreciate any input, links, pictures and suggestions for doing this project. This is why I love these forums how did we ever get along without them.

Thank you in advance
Mark

Advertisement

Last edited by Blankenship; 09-06-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
"Chassis swap"? The Camaro is a unibody and has no "Chassis".

Brian
Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Brian doesn't the 2nd generation Camaro have a 'sub frame' in the front that is sometimes used for this type of thing? Like, say to ditch the straight axle?

Blankenship: You can use a lot of things, column, brakes, PS, seat, it's up to your imagination. I'd probably simplify the wiring from the '80 and use the more modern fuse box.

Best of luck.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I used a 76 Nova for my 51 Ford F1........The Camaro rear should fit, probably have to move the spring perches. I used the F1 springs and made new shock mounts.....Also used the master cylinder etc from the Nova. .....Grafted the Nava front clip top the Ford frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14295truck21.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	40413   Click image for larger version

Name:	ctmpphp4YYnPr.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	40414  
Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankenship
3. Does anyone have a step by step for doing this chassis swap?
Here's an article I wrote for the wiki, putting my thoughts on paper for a young fellow who wanted to do a frame swap on his International pickup truck, using a Dakota frame. It is by no means a step-by-step instructional, but you may gain something from reading it....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Frame_Swap
Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
You are right that the Camaro has a sub frame you can splice onto the Chevy truck frame. I have done it, I do NOT recommend it.

Mark, listen, that truck has a Beautifully simply frame, leave it as is and work on other mods. I have had a truck like that for 35 years. And the biggest mistake I think I ever made was putting the Camaro clip on it. It was done right, it was just "not right" putting it on there. It is too wide, it requires some serious modification to the inner fenders and rad support, it is just "not right".

There are a zillion bolt on modifications available for that original frame. The rear end will bolt in right on the stock truck springs. There are springs available that will lower the truck and give it a better ride.

You need to make up your mind what you are going to do with the truck and how far you are going to go. You can make a super nice little hot rod with very little mods and be out having fun in a very short while. Or you can do a complete rebuild with four wheel independent susp and a blown big block.

But using the stuff you have from the Camaro is not the right way to go if you ask me. JUST BECAUSE you have it is usually a big mistake.

There are MUCH better components out there for your truck.

Brian
Old 09-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Sorry... But there's nothing you can do to that front end to make it ride as good as the Camaro.... Yes you can make it ''better'',But no where's close to the ride you get with the Camaro/Nova...If you want one a little narrower, Go with the nova..It's 1.5'' narrower hub to hub...I do recommend the Nova over the Camaro..It is a lot of work to do a clip...But to me,It's a much better ride when done right.. Make sure you remember it's a job to do it..Good luck..
Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

If money is not a problem,Martinsr is right. There are many MII style front suspensions that work very well but they are expensive.If like most of us you are on a tight budget then the Camaro or Nova is a great way to go. I speak from actually doing it.Just remember the rear came with a torque tube rear so the center bolts on the rear springs are in front of the rear end. This means when you put the Camaro rear end in you will have to make custom perches to locate the rear behind the bolts to keep the wheels centered in the wheel well.Hope this helps.Martinsr,How about some pics of the clip job on your truck?This might help him to see what it looks like so he can make a more informed decision.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

I rode in my friends 53 just a little while ago with a Camaro clip and was blown away with how well it handled and the ride, this thing just gave you a huge adrenaline rush. He did not do the clip himself and it was not done right it was just welded to the frame not reinforced or anything so he will be redoing it. He gave me one hell of a ride And I'm convinced this is the way to go. Thanks everyone for your comments if there is anything else you find please let me know.

Thanks

Mark
Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Martinsr, I would love to see how you did it too.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:38 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i have done many of the gm clips. they are by far the best thing to use . the ride and drive is much better than the mll . i have never had a problem with it. done right is is as safe as it can be. i do not do cut and butt. the trick is to put a 1 in spacer under the forward cab mount. this will raise the front for clearance of steering and core support. i run 225;s on front and they do not hit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	56 done resize.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	40420  
Old 09-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

I do a cut and butt, in a way... But also plate all the way around the butt, And pass each side of the butt about 6'' then flow it out into the two frames..And box the old frame back some..
Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 AM

chassis swap

u can use a extended cab s10 chassis it works great u have to add motor and trans mounts, running board mounts, and cab mounts evey thing else works great
Old 09-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb23
u can use a extended cab s10 chassis it works great u have to add motor and trans mounts, running board mounts, and cab mounts evey thing else works great

I like to avoid the s-10 frames as much as possible.. Too much trouble putting big motors in them.. And I don't fine the ride as good as the Camaro/Nova..
Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i guess i always do overkill. this is how i have done them for years . fast and easy . i'm doing some stuff with s10's now. using s10 front clip on my 46 ford. the chassis mate up just under the front seat. has about 8 in of overlap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clip 4.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	40421  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.