49 chevy truck suspension mod. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

49 chevy truck suspension mod.

Are there any recommendation on what front suspension clip I could use on a 49 chevy truck other then a mustang two I would like to find something I can used from a recycle yard to help keep my cost down

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Den
Are there any recommendation on what front suspension clip I could use on a 49 chevy truck other then a mustang two I would like to find something I can used from a recycle yard to help keep my cost down
You need to do a search on Hotrodders there are a zillion threads on this subject, and a zillion opinions.

I go with leaving it stock using a dropped axle and new springs. But that's just me.

Brian
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

Look for '71-'81 Camaro/Firebird or '75-'79 Nova/Omega/Ventura/Apollo. These are good-handling, good-riding, and it's cheap and easy to upgrade to 12" front brakes. Aftermarket support is excellent. Plus you can have 12.7:1 power steering with great feel.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
Look for '71-'81 Camaro/Firebird or '75-'79 Nova/Omega/Ventura/Apollo. These are good-handling, good-riding, and it's cheap and easy to upgrade to 12" front brakes. Aftermarket support is excellent. Plus you can have 12.7:1 power steering with great feel.
Great suspensions but too wide for this truck.

Brian
Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the information , I am building this for my grandson and he is going to help me do the restoration he is only 13 but it will take some time to restore before he gets his drivers permit it is also away of teaching him mechanical thing he will need later in life. As we go along I will be posting pictures again thank you for this information I will be on the look out for a good deal.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

Having installed a G-body front suspension on my 54 Chevy truck (same as your 49) I will share the following first hand knowledge:

2nd Generation Camaro/Firebird (70-81) is too wide for the AD series trucks unless you want to leave the ride height high. If installed in a lowered configuration you WILL have tire to fender clearance issues or tire to frame clearance issues if you try to run a tire wider that 7 inches and bigger than 15 inches.

G-body subframe works well but is fabrication intensive. Clearance issues between the steering box and core support will result in modified radiator mounting. Mine works great with IROC Camaro front springs but I would not do it again.

1st Generation Camaro/Firebird (67-69) is a rear steer configuration which works well and has the correct track width but these are hard to find.

One thing to keep in mind about any subframe modification is you will need to spend the time to replace every component and bushing to ensure it works well when you are done. If you can fabricate and weld then the installation of a subframe suspension should be considered. If you intend to farm that out I would consider another option.

My suggestion is to use one of the IFS kits out there for these truck. They install easily, have rack and pinion steering, and good brakes. The small additional cost that may be incurred is more than made up for with good sheet metal alignment, better resale value, better performance and peace of mind.

The S10 chassis swap is not the solution many others think it is. In my opinion you are paying the same amount of money for one of the aftermarket kits that a decent IFS kit would cost and the truck will still sit too high for my tastes without swapping out the spindles to lower the front. You also have the related headaches of properly setting the engine & trans, fuel tank, running boards, etc.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 PM

Thank you for the information, I am new at this and will used the information you have sent before I make my final decision. Who know I might run across a good deal on a hanks again for the information.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.