Hot Rod Forum banner

49 f1 door wont open

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pcbc 
#1 ·
its the passenger side with a door lock and i cant get anything inside the door to move. also tried driving out the upper hinge pin but it started mushrooming so i stopped. any ideas or should i just cut the hinges?

#2 ·
Ok, i am going to assume you have taken off the door panel and checked for:
The door is locked?
The opening mechanism works?
How long has this sat? Could the mechanism to latch the door be frozen?

Spray the parts inside the door with a good lube, start working the arms on the inside of the door. It should free up somewhere. Make sure it is not locked. Cutting the hinges might not get your door open and would be a last resort move. Does the outside door handle move or does it act like it is locked?

#3 ·
outside door handle does not move any thing inside. but handle itself is floppy just like the driver side so i have no idea if its locked or frozen. inside door handle is gone and shaft will not turn. the guy i bought the truck from had it four or five years and never really tried to open it. how would i tell if it was locked? also what other doors will fit like f1 -f?

#4 ·
If it has a regular up and down lock on the door sill, look inside, behind the door panel, at the connecting rod to the opening mechanism. The connecting rod should move up and down, figure out it's operation and like Dinger said, lube it with a rust inhibitor and work it. If it's not the lock mechanism, do the same to the latch linkage, if it's not broken off it should loosen up.

You say it's "floppy, just like the driver's side...", what do you mean by floppy? Just that is moves like it should?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.