Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 49 f1 steering questions
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

" Handful to drive " is a subjective opinion ...

I had a 49 F1 with a SBC in it and drove it every where. It did not drive and handle like a sports car but I found it to be very adequate. It is however 60 year old technology.

I am building a 1949 M-47 Mercury pickup ( Canadian version of the Ford F-1 )

I wanted a lower stance and better brakes so I opted for a XJ-6 IFS conversion ... instead of the Pinto/Mustang II stuff. The Jag IFS is vastly stronger ... and built for the weight of a F-1 more closely than The Pinto/Mustang II stuff. The Jag also matches the wheelbase better It is also easier to adapt and no kit is required. Complete old Jags are available for the 5/6 hundred range in my area. I like to use the 1980/1986 XJ-6 models.

... the Jag XJ-6 front IFS cradle unbolts from the Jag and is the correct width for the F-1. I also went with a Explorer ( 2001 ) 8.8 rear end with disc brakes. It is the same exact width as the original F-1 rear end and has 31 spline axles, 3.73 gear ratio with a POSI.

The Jag has 4 piston disc brakes, a POWER rack and pinion steering system and the very common 5 on 4.75 wheel bolt pattern ( same as a Chevrolet )

Go here to view the conversion ... done by another F-1 owner.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...&albumid=30130

DEUCE ... Suspension - Brakes - Steering Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "