49 ford F1 what engine should I ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 AM

Last journal entry: Th350 dipstick leak!!!!!!!
Wiki Edits: 0

49 ford F1 what engine should I ??

Hey guys . I have a 49 F1 ford with a chevy 250 inline6 with a th350 trans . I want to go all ford. But I don't want to spend 6k on a turnkey crate motor.
What should I buy where I can swap the motor n trans combo right into my F1and be RELIABLE??? I found a 01 F150 short cab with 120k on motor for 4500$ should I get it and swap it out? will it fit ?? or is that year junk??? much advice appreciated thx!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

That would not make sense dont throw away a good driving truck to make a good driving truck. Look around at the salvage yards and take some time doing it.I like the 4.6 litre ford but in your case i would get an older motor and YES TO GETTING A FORD PLANT.Too many people put chevys in there ford projects and I dont think its right. That ol truck has room for a 460 if you wanna take time to tuck it in there. The 460 is strong and durable and speed parts are available.4500 bucks is a good amount to spend. you should be able to get a decent engine and trans combo and build it for that. If you could find something in the late sixties or early seventies like a torino wagon with a 351 or some had 460 and you could get the whole car to strip that would be sweet.The torino has a nine inch ford rear under it or maybe now its missing( someone grabbed it) but that would be a good place to look.plus all the little extras like brackets and possibly mounts and all the nickel and dime stuff not to mention wiring.Get a new radiator or at least plan on it. dont trust an nice build like that on salvage yard cooling system junk
Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 PM

thx

You bring up some valid points. Now that I actually have a model to look for (torino)or similar. The thing is I just am not very experienced in Ford history.
and that is kind of frustrating. Also here in Vegas their is a very limited scene of builders or machine shops that are trustworthy. And it seems like this whole engine swap thing is black magic or voodoo lol. serious I am all for paying my dues but wow... now I kinda see why the uninitiated just say fcuk it and do a sbc350 and th350 trans so simple and brainless. anyway thats my rant. and thank you for responding to my question. MORE OPTIONS !! GREAT LOL!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

I went with a 5.0 H.O. efi in my 53 Mainline I got a good deal on a 1993 thunderbird with the OD out of the trans but the motor was perfect I got the thunderbird for 450.00 guy wanted rid of it he had bought a new car for his wife and i really like the EFI in it But that all depends on if you know how to do the wiring I had somebody do mine for me but so far has been super reliable and no motor issues at all. I rebuilt the trans myself to save money but if i wouldn't have known somebody who could do the wiring i would have went with a carbed 302 just my two cents. good luck with it.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hey something I should have mentioned is that ford vans of the early seventies are a good donor for your pickup project they are allready a truck lots of them out there alot of them were v 8 either 302 or 351 (sweet) and some had the 9 inch ford rear diff, carbuerated so no efi wiring to deal with should make it quite a bit easier on your first build to not have to deal with the efi and wiring and will still make a great looking truck with chrome engine covers and such just a thought. Lots of options with what you are working with.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I am going to go against the grain a bit How about a 300 ford 6 in that truck..good number of those around..

Sam
Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

OMT has a point and the 300 six is a torquey mother to boot and they modify them and some stay up with the 5.0 '8s and it will have a sound of its own , or if you can find one get the original flattie to put in there. mine had one and theres nothing like popping the hood and no valve covers and they make performance parts for them still .
Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
I am going to go against the grain a bit How about a 300 ford 6 in that truck..good number of those around..

Sam
You're reading my mind. With the cast aluminum ram tubes curling over the valve cover, the EFI 300-6 is really a pretty motor and has good grunt as well as good mileage. Buy the whole truck, maybe wrecked, and take everything out of it, including all the wiring for the EFI, computer, etc.

My daily driver is a '91 Ford F150, 300-6, 5-speed, 4x4. Stone cold reliable and good on gas.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

boy the original flathead would be a nice looking setup.the 300 would be an ok alternative but if thats the case you might as well leave the chevy 6 cylinder in there as your not gaining anything. You are looking for street horse power arent you?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I had a similar truck to techinspector only a 90 4x4 f 150 shrtbed and it had a 300.I wasnt satisfied till I swapped it out for a fresh 5.0 took a different ecm some wiring changes from the six custom exhaust different radiator yada yada yada. Point im trying to make is these are all great suggestions here, all of them. Lots of real good options, but take time to think about your end result and dont let the work scare you. were all here to help so go out there and build something you will enjoy. I put the 5.0 in mine as I wanted the sound and performance of the v-8.I would have really liked the v-8 and I have a pcm for that as well (with E4od) . It was a lot of work, but I drove it for 5 years and sold it for what I had in it.I enjoyed it then moved on.Like I said lots of good suggestions here, just take some time to think about the end result and what you truly want.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Meant to say I would really like to have had a 351 but found a good 5.0
Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM

sound is a factor!

Saw a commercial the other day with Chip Foose and he said it aint a hot rod till it sounds like one ..... And just then I had a vision of some guy pullin up next to at a light and revvin up his motor and me not having a response to that hahahaha !! so I think I def want something that can also sound the part. and woith those fancy electronic exhaust valve It think that would be a sweet setup . hit the button they open to straight exhaust bark back and hopefully I will be louder!! I know im a dork but whatever.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM

smokin deal !!

just found a 1988 ford econoline van with a 302 5.0 WITH COLD AC !! for the vegas heat for ..........WAit for it ..................
1500.00 yes !! U.S. dollars imagine if it was pesos!! just saved me some cash on the vintage air unit.
would have been nice to have gottena 351 but I guess there is a fair amount of stuff I can do with a 302.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Take your time

I am a habitual junk yard junkie. There have been more than a couple of occations that I have stumbled across several late 80's to early 90's lincoln lsc's that had the high output 5.0 in them. (they had the nice cast valve covers on them)They also came with the AOD and rear disc.
I would also consider the biggest bb ford had to offer (there are plenty around) if I did'nt give a rats ssa about the price of gasoline. How about a intercooled turbo 4 out off a 88 T bird. OR how about a suppercharged v six out of a super coup. The prices for complete motors and transmissions at pick and pull are real reasonable here. Good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 AM

sold!!

I told the guy I had a doc appointment at 1pm and that I would call him after which was 4pm . and HE sold it ... what a dick .. lol I told him I wanted it for sure. OH well. their are plenty of good deals out there jus gotta keep lookin.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.