Hot Rod Forum banner

49 Olds hood ornament space

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  grouch 
#1 ·
#2 ·
olds hood ornament

I'm no body man, but that looks like a job for one. That would be over my head, so personally, I would rethink the deal. Why don't you want a hood ornament? How about one from a similar car (I'm putting a 46 ornament on my 41 cause they were longer/lower/sleeker looking) that has a look you like. If you want no ornament, Id consider fabricating a piece, or using just the base off an old ornament and grinding it down to a real low profile. Then paint to match the car.
I may be way off base here, just thinking options other than major surgery on that hood.

#3 ·
oldguy829 said:
Why don't you want a hood ornament?
It's just too big and gaudy and interrupts the nice smooth contour of the hood, IMO. I know that big rocket was a mark of an Olds at the time, but I just don't like it.

oldguy829 said:
If you want no ornament, Id consider fabricating a piece, or using just the base off an old ornament and grinding it down to a real low profile. Then paint to match the car.
I may be way off base here, just thinking options other than major surgery on that hood.
Yeah, I want to avoid major surgery; I'm already having to learn enough as it is. If there is some way to make a steel or fiberglass piece to bolt in just along the center ridge and not have the lines show through the paint, that would be great. I could weld in the slots on either side of the ridge, I think.

Compare the appearance of the hood in these pictures from my journal (try to ignore the bad artwork):

http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos/00020327/10915986440.jpg
http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos/00020327/10932467760.jpg

Here's a side view, also from before I started any real work. All the chrome is already off the trunk in this shot:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5986

I want to eliminate most of the chrome and stainless trim, but especially all that stuff on the hood and trunk. (It even had big chrome strips along the tops of the rear fenders going down to the tail lights.)

#4 ·
49 hood ornament

I have to agree. I like the clean nosed look better myself. My pontiac has a two piece hood, with a 5 inch wide chromed piece that connects the two halves. It fits in a channel nearly 1/2 inch deep. filling and smoothing that whole thing was too much for me. i considered just nosing the center piece and having no hood ornament, but I would still have the raised strip. As I said, i went with a compromise. The new ornament is a lot smaller in height and width, it's lower and longer. I have stripped and prepped the grill and all other chrome on the front, except the headlight rims, to paint them to match the car. Hopefully it will eliminate that whole chrome gaudy look. I hope to have it back together in a week or so. Maybe when you( and I) see it you'll be OK with it. If not, I guess I can go back and fill in the holes and try again.
As for fiberglass, I'm not sure I'd mess with that. The seams will show, now or later IMO. Do you have a welder? mig or tig? If you want it smooth, I'd make a piece (maybe 1/8 inch material? just smaller than the flat spot and tack weld it in real good. Then do another one smaller still to tack onto the first one, and so on, until you get the contour you want. Dress up the edges of thje stack, and finish off with just a bit of filler. that kind of repair should never crack or separate and you have some controll over the contour with the grinder. I've done similar jobs and it doesn't take real skill, just patience. Good luck, Don

#5 ·
I have a MIG; I'm just not that good with it. That's why I was even considering fiberglass. You're right about that, though, it would eventually show the seam as the fiberglass would expand and contract at a different rate than the steel.

The orginal ornament bolts on, so I may try that laminating procedure you describe, only bolting the first layer instead of welding it. If I can get it to match the contours, then I can make it permanent. Grinding would be more within my abilities than hammering, for sure. I may try making a 1/8" base like you say and then forming some sheet metal above it.

Thanks, that gives me something to tinker with and think about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.