Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

496 bbc intake and carb ?s

11K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  tsmall114 
#1 ·
I have a 496 going into a 1964 impala. Car will be street strip an has a muncie m22 tranny an ford 9" with 4.11 posi. Motor info is 496 will be around 11.1 compression with oval. Port aluminum head solid roller isky cam .650/.650 lift an duration a .50 is 272 or 282 ill have to check that again. But my ? Is should I run single or dual plane intake? And would a quick fuel 950 be a good choice and size for carb?

#2 ·
I gather hood clearance isn't an issue, a 64 Impala has a pretty forgiving engine compartment.

With that many cubes under it, you can probably go either way. Depends whether you lean towards more 'street' or 'strip'. Even a 500 inch motor will prefer something along the lines of a Perf RPM for cruise throttle response.

I would go with a large 2-plane, but that's just me. Peak dyno numbers are likely better with an open plenum, everything else points to the 2-plane.

I would bet your 950 would be OK on a 2-plane.

#3 ·
tsmall114 said:
I have a 496 going into a 1964 impala. Car will be street strip an has a muncie m22 tranny an ford 9" with 4.11 posi. Motor info is 496 will be around 11.1 compression with oval. Port aluminum head solid roller isky cam .650/.650 lift an duration a .50 is 272 or 282 ill have to check that again. But my ? Is should I run single or dual plane intake? And would a quick fuel 950 be a good choice and size for carb?

I would recommend a Victor Jr., and a 950 would work great-you're going to have so much bottom end with a 496 anyway, and with those Gears and that Cam you will be able to realize some real high RPM performance-I hope your Heads flow at least 310 cfm with that combo-are you using long tube Headers or shorties?

#5 ·
tsmall114 said:
Even with. That high of duration on the cam? An if so what intake would you prefer

If you are directing that question to me, it does depend on what Heads you are going to use, and long tube Headers will increase your bottom end-your 496 should be making somewhere in the 580-620 lb. torque, and although your Impala isn't all that light, it will have plenty of bottom to get out of it's own way with those Gears-what size Tire (how tall) are you using?

I am building a 540 for my Car, and I bought a set of new AFR 320cc Heads that have been CNC ported, along with a ported Victor Jr.-the Cam will be a little more radical than yours on Lift, but about the same on duration. I was building a 496 (still have it) with a set of Edelbrock Oval Ports (60459), and they are about maxed with a 496 (same with the GM Heads which are made by Edelbrock). I think the GM Heads are a little better because they use the 2.25" valves-

Tell us more about your combo-

#6 ·
i will be using long tube headers and i still have to find a set to fit a 64 impala only ones i have seen so far are 65 an newer. havent purchased heads yet but just know oval port aluminium and some port work if they dont have it already. only heads we have now for the motor are a truck peanut port head and dont think its worth using them or even dumping money into them. tires have no idea the size of the top of my head right now all i know is the rim is 14x8 so nothing special right now. we are going to do something about the once the motor and stuff is done and in the car. we plan on atleast getting a different rear rim prolly 15x10 and different backspacing to fit widest tire we can my guess is like only a 10.5 to 11 inch wide tire.

#7 ·
tsmall114 said:
i will be using long tube headers and i still have to find a set to fit a 64 impala only ones i have seen so far are 65 an newer. havent purchased heads yet but just know oval port aluminium and some port work if they dont have it already. only heads we have now for the motor are a truck peanut port head and dont think its worth using them or even dumping money into them. tires have no idea the size of the top of my head right now all i know is the rim is 14x8 so nothing special right now. we are going to do something about the once the motor and stuff is done and in the car. we plan on atleast getting a different rear rim prolly 15x10 and different backspacing to fit widest tire we can my guess is like only a 10.5 to 11 inch wide tire.

I had a '63 SS and a '64 SS-Hooker used to make some long tube Headers that will fit your X-Frame, don't know if they still do. As for Heads, with your Cam I would use something like a set of Brodix race-rites, Dart Pro1 310's or AFR 320's (standard), or the new Edelbrock's. Not sure why you want an Oval Port Heads with that Cam-

#9 ·
Lots of theories (and a few have been proven), but the thought was that Oval Ports had better velocity at lower RPM so they are preferred on the Street-obviously, that is generally what the Truck Heads are-when you start getting into the cubic inch range you are, then rectangular ports can work better as they move more air (generally), especially at higher RPM.

Again, with a 496 you will have so much torque anyway that it might not hurt to lose a little low end grunt for some higher RPM capability. In my build I was an Oval Port guy too until I talked to a lot of people, did a bunch of research and talked to Tony Mamo at AFR-my reasoning being that if a smaller Oval worked so well on a 454, why wouldn't a larger one work on a larger engine? It will, but I believe a similarly sized rectangluar Port will flow better.

Have you already purchased the Cam? Are you going to Drag Race this? That is a stout Cam for the street-

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.