496 build.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 11:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

496 build..

i have a 454 block, 2 bolt main, what all is needed to be done to the block to make it a 496? i am gettin a 4.250 crank, does there need to be clearencing in the block to fit the crank? does the rod's need to be longer? thank's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I'm not a BBC motorhead, just SBC, but I'll try to get you started until someone comes along with better answers for you. The 496 uses a 4.310" bore (0.060"-over) and 4.250" stroke crank. You can use stock length (6.135") rods or you can use longer rods. It all depends on your piston choice. A piston for use with the stock length 6.135" rod would have a compression height of 1.520". A piston for use with a 6.385" rod (+0.250" longer than stock) would have a compression height of 1.270".

I suspect it's like every other build as far as clearancing. Every block is different.

You might do a little reading before you begin to lay down the long green for parts to make this work. Here's a good starting place......
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/chevy-454-manual.html
Old 07-12-2007, 11:46 PM

Cool thread-im hoping this will be updated with lots of information.

I myself am an absolute noob to american engines after numerous quick riceburners (current car is a TT mk4 supra but am planning c3 vette purchase)

Not sure if i should start a new thread for this or not- i guess its all kinda relevant.

When fitting a stroker crank to a stock 454 (to make a 496) what does the CR end up being roughly when using stock pistons and rods.

If building a blown 496 with low CR and new internals- do you alter head capacity, rod length, piston size or all 3? With the 2J its as simple as just ordering pistons to suit your CR.

Hope everyone is having/had a good day :-)

-Nathan
Old 07-13-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle4542speed
i have a 454 block, 2 bolt main, what all is needed to be done to the block to make it a 496? i am gettin a 4.250 crank, does there need to be clearencing in the block to fit the crank? does the rod's need to be longer? thank's

I have a 454 .60 over bore and I plann on going to a 496 as well maybe even a 502. I have spoken with the performance shop and they told me I will not have to to anything to the block to to to a 496. To be able find out for sure if you have to have work done to you block first I would say to take it in to a machine shop or at least ask about that cast number if the block is virgin then they should be able to help you.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Block will be fine but be sure to get a stroker pan for it... The stock type pan or even aftermarket stock rail pans will interfear... The stroker pan has a different stampinp of the rail where it bolts to the block...
Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Hey Gents, I would like to out my two cents in here. I just finished building a 496 a couple of weeks ago and here are some things that I found that contradict some statements made here.

1. If using a GM Block you will need to clearance the block on the sides if you are using a 4.25 crank and any kind of decent rod. The rod bolts won't clear the sides of the block. ARP sells low profile 7/16 rod bolts to reduce the amount you have to grind. You will also have to clearance on the bottom of the cylinder bores a little no matter what.

2. You have to purchase pistons with short skirts if you are using a 6.135 length rod. If you use a 6.385, or 6.535 rods you won't have a problem because the pistons that have the appropriate compression height are usually short skirt pistons. The pistons skirts will hit on the counterweights on the crank when the pistons are at the bottom of the stroke.

3. Most Aftermarket pans for BBC's accept up to a 4.25 crank, but that doesn't mean you will be able to fit a windage tray in there as well.

D. Make sure you find someone who has done what they are talking about before and can prove it before you take their word...I didn't and ended up learning the hard way on a couple of things.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Here are some pictures of the clearancing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clearancing1.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	22794   Click image for larger version

Name:	clearancing2.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	22796  

Last edited by Double_v23; 07-17-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.