Hot Rod Forum banner

496 stroker

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bblumberman 
#1 ·
what does anybody think about the stroked 454. (496 big block) chevy

#3 ·
its going in a 67 chevelle. i am going to put a tremec tko 5 speed with eaton 350 gears. but the vacuum is not enough on this motor to run vac asst brake booster. it is around 13'' they say it needs to be 18''. i know that you can use
a vac pump or leverage advantage brake peddle and manual brakes. but was just wondering if anybody has any advice on this issue.

#8 ·
I went with a 496 because the rotating assembly was only $200 more than a stock stroke 454 kit with .030" pistons. I have about $3,000 in my engine mainly because I stuck with the iron 049s instead of the pricey aluminum aftermarket heads. I guess you really cant go wrong with a big block chevy either way :thumbup:

I used hydroboost from an 83 El Camino on my 496. Cam is an XE284 cut on a 108 lsa instead of the 110. I knew vacuum would SUCK so I didnt waste time worrying about it and went with hydroboost. Havent taken the car down the road yet but I loved the pedal feel......that is until my left front caliper froze :pain: This is about the only pic I have right now showing the hydroboost setup. Very simple swap
496 by bwollens1983, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.