Hot Rod Forum banner

On a S-10 conversion which do you preferr.

• V8 305cu. TBI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • V8 350cu. TBI

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • V8 305 FI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • V8 350 FI

Votes: 11 47.8%

4cyl 2.5L convert to V-8 305 or 350

35K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  bluesman123 
#1 ·
Hi I just bought a 1988 Chevrolet S-10 2wd 1/2ton regular cab 2.5L 4cyl TBI pick-up. I want to put a V-8 in place of the 4cyl. Which v8 would be better to use. The 305 or the 350cu. :confused: I can do all the work neccesary to do the swap but i would like to know what i will need to do it right and which engine will suit me better. The truck is going to be used as a daily driver as well as some heavy hauling when needed. So any advice will be used and appriciated.

#7 ·
rustie said:
i have a 91 s10 with a 2.5 that i throwing out and putting in a 350 so let me know how your project comes along and i'll let you know how things are on my end.
will do thanks for responding. i decided im going to go with the tbi chevy 350 small block.

DragTour69XL said:
The 350 is the same size, so go with it.
The TBI will be an easyer swap then the FI.
well the 4cyl thats in it right now is a tbi unit so i was already planning on stay with a tbi 350. and yes i have decided to go with the 350 small block. i decided to go with all edelbrock componets. i just dont know which type to go with. i want to go with edelbrock performer rpm with the rpm air gap manifold.

V8 S-10 said:
I have a few pictures of my swap in progress in my hottrodders gallery and here
www.v8s10.org/smallblock
damn bro just got done looking at all of your pics. you seem like you know what the hell your doing. its gives me a better idea of whats ahead. if you have any more input please tell me all input is very knowledgable.

#8 ·
Could I ask what transmission your S10 has? Doesn't the 2.5 have the same bellhouse pattern as the small-block V8? Can you use the same flywheel? I am curious because I have a couple of S10 4X4 Blazers that I have been toying with the Idea of putting small blocks in. One has a 2.5 4-speed and the other has a 2.8 V6 automatic. I have purchased a wrecked S10 Blazer with a 4.3 for the V8 swap on the automatic one. I was planning on putting 305s in both of these.

#10 ·
CrashFarmer2 said:
Could I ask what transmission your S10 has? Doesn't the 2.5 have the same bellhouse pattern as the small-block V8? Can you use the same flywheel? I am curious because I have a couple of S10 4X4 Blazers that I have been toying with the Idea of putting small blocks in. One has a 2.5 4-speed and the other has a 2.8 V6 automatic. I have purchased a wrecked S10 Blazer with a 4.3 for the V8 swap on the automatic one. I was planning on putting 305s in both of these.
i did some more researching. turns out that you want to use a th350 turbo on the 350 conversion do not use anything higher. so i have my shopping list now and by 2005 my s10 is going to be the ****.

V8 S-10 said:
thanks for the web site. i will view them when i have a chance. i know exactly what i need to get to get started but im going to get everything before i start so it will prolly be 2005 in dec before its finsh completely. lots fo work to be done.

#11 ·
CrashFarmer2 said:

the 2.5 in s10s has the same bellhousing as the 2.8s (not the same as a V8) and the flywheel wont work.

#12 ·
you know i have no clue what tranny i have in the 2.5 but when i bought my 350 it came with a 350 turbo tranny so I dont think I can really help you on that one. but one thing I did find out is that the rear end should be good enough. I might be wrong but then again everyone has a different perspective on things. well good luck and see ya around

#14 ·
you guys are awesome

i wish i could do the 350 swap... i have the exact same setup as deadman... I am going to hope to do the swap over the next summer, when i have some money, and time. I really want to drop a built 350 in there, and keep it looking, and sounding as stock as possable, and just open 'er up on riceboys when they look at me funny :D

hows traction on these things? concidering i can spin all of 1st, and get it going into 2nd, on my 2.5L im guessing a 350 would be crazy without posi. Im hoping that without posi, i can also keep my stock borg warner and see how long my rearend lasts. (maybe with a little bit fatter tires, but nothing too big or sticky) I really want to keep it 5spd, and i like my gearing right now, but the 350 would have a lot more bottom end, so i could have lower gearing. Anyways... you guys are the bombshnoozie for actually doing this, and i hope to be running with you big boys one day :p

V8 S-10... you are the man!

#15 ·
Traction is terrible. My stock 305 with 3.73s would smoke the tires in first and second and chirp them in third. You gotta really pay attention when driving them on wet roads too..any kind suddin movement of the gas pedal and you'll be sideways in the road.:rolleyes:

A S10 T5 wont last very long behind a V8. I don't even see how they take the power of a 2.8 :pain:

Heres a pic of my 383 after working on it some today
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2137

#16 ·
i think im going to start taking icturesof my ride to show every one what i have to work with here. plus up date for you guys. i may be purchasing another 88 chevy s10 next month. so if i do i plan to do one truck the way my wife wants it and plan to do the other one the way i want it. damn this is going to be fun.:thumbup: :pimp: :evil: :mwink: :D

#19 ·
unless you like me where putting the motor through the hood is part of your plan any way lol. but im going to do it the right way. a blower on it. but id ont know yet im still thinking about it right now. i just may swap out the intake for a hire rise intake just for looks.

#21 ·
more info on the swap. buddy with the 4.3 truck wiil be able to bolt a s/b to the 4.3 trans but a good tourqe converter is in order even a 305 will shred a 6 cyl. also there is a book out s10 v8 swap(or something) by i think j&r performance they also have one out to do the swap in jags and volvos he he

#23 ·
Alright.. Thanks V8... Currently workin on parting out an 85 silverado. (totaled when a girl pulled out in front of my dad.) We are gonna use the engine and tranny from it... And hopefully sell the rest of it either on e-bay or locally piece by piece. Sounds like I'll be orderin that book soon.

#24 ·
:mwink: Here is a list that im going to use. It will take me some time to get it but this is what im planning on getting for my S-10 see the follow.
This list can be found at www.jegs.com
1. • 969-4689 Jegs 2.5/2.8L to SBC Mount Plates $62.99
2. • 500-69490 Jegs S-10 Hedders $259.99
3. • 350-45701 Jegs Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap $6,199.99:drool:
4. • 134-68012 Jegs Be Cool Radiator 1" core $359.99
The following can be found at www.summitracing.com
1. • HUP-35-1 Summits Huges performance TH-350 Transmission $889.00:drool:
2. • HUP--GM25 Summits Huges performance Torque Converter $169.95
I hope this help alot of you new to conversions. this is the kind of money you can plan on spending if you go with all new stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.