4l60-e no reverse problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 05:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cool 4l60-e no reverse problem

got a question. Ive been a tech for 15 years, currently work for a GM dealership in florida and recently have been thrown to the wolves by the higher ups at our dealership. What I mean by this is that recently they fired our transmission guy and have decided to turn me into that new transmission guru. (up to this point in life auto trans were the ONLY thing I did not work on). IN the past I have worked on every make model car and truck under the sun. Boats, RV's,jet skis boom truck hydralics, you name it. Now I have to learn automatic transmissions. up to this point if it was broke I could put you a new one in. Anyway my question is on a 4l60-e is it a very common problem for no reverse to be a result of a broken reverse input housing? seems like I have heard this somewhere? Tommorow morning I will be taking out a 4l60-e trans out of a 2002 gmc sierra a employees vehicle and breaking it open to see why we have no reverse. put trans in reverse hear whine and no go. put veh back in drive slowly hear whine winding down forward goes fine. performed line pressure check and performed as expected when commanding pc. 75500 miles on veh .fluid not exceptionally bad looking for milage. tech2 shows no codes and shows electronics to be working fine. any body got any words of wisdom? Im sure you guys will be seeing this name from time to time to pick your brains and I will tell you any help will be appreciated. this is what i dont want this trans to do to me laterz

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 08:19 PM

4l60-e no reverse problem and hi to all

4l60-e no reverse problem
got a question. Ive been a tech for 15 years, currently work for a GM dealership in florida and recently have been thrown to the wolves by the higher ups at our dealership. What I mean by this is that recently they fired our transmission guy and have decided to turn me into that new transmission guru. (up to this point in life auto trans were the ONLY thing I did not work on). IN the past I have worked on every make model car and truck under the sun. Boats, RV's,jet skis boom truck hydralics, you name it. Now I have to learn automatic transmissions. up to this point if it was broke I could put you a new one in. Anyway my question is on a 4l60-e is it a very common problem for no reverse to be a result of a broken reverse input housing? seems like I have heard this somewhere? Tommorow morning I will be taking out a 4l60-e trans out of a 2002 gmc sierra a employees vehicle and breaking it open to see why we have no reverse. put trans in reverse hear whine and no go. put veh back in drive slowly hear whine winding down forward goes fine. performed line pressure check and performed as expected when commanding pc. 75500 miles on veh .fluid not exceptionally bad looking for milage. tech2 shows no codes and shows electronics to be working fine. any body got any words of wisdom? Im sure you guys will be seeing this name from time to time to pick your brains and I will tell you any help will be appreciated. this is what i dont want this trans to do to me laterz or this
Old 10-14-2004, 09:18 PM
67 Nova 400sbc.4L60

No reverse.

I just did another 1998 4L60E with the same complaint. Depending on the damage you can possibly get away with just the shell and thrust washers on each side or maybe even the low roller clutch inner race might be scored . Order a brand new unit, the Die for that part was changed for durabilty concerns. ( GM Powertrain) Then for the 4L65E the Brass thrust washer was replaced with a Torrington type bearing and the mating part was remachined for support of the bearing.This is also available as a package from the Dealer.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

Have you verified ALL 4 forward gears?

Have you checked for engine braking in manual low gear?

2 things make reverse happen in this tranny..... reverse input clutch and the low/reverse clutch pack.

If the splines twist out on the drive shell ( check them for wear!) the tranny will have no 2nd , OD or reverse. No engine braking means the low/reverse clutch pack is not working for some reason.

If the reverse input frictions are burned up, reduce the size of the relief hole in the aluminum piston. I plug the OE hole and drill a smaller one on the other side of the piston.

Check the plastic accumilator pistons for cracks, breaks and wear.

let us know what you find
Old 10-15-2004, 10:22 AM

will do

will check theese items tranny now on my bench at work. Im at lunch now but aft lunch will tear down to investigate. did not investigate the manual 1 question I know I should be horse whipped, too late now Im going in. rookie mistake. I admit it. will let you guys know at end of day. laterz
Old 10-15-2004, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Bad Drum

If memory serves correct...You will lose rev,2nd, and 4th when this drum breaks. The 4L60E usually has an updated drum in it but DACCO sells one called "The Beast" that is a nice part to install....And only about $20.00 more than the updated one. The Forward gear that you have should feel sluggish because of no reaction from this shell. No codes tells you that there are no valve or seal problems. Hope this helps
Old 10-18-2004, 04:06 PM

did find the problem, Thanks for all the advice

broke it down to find the splines on the reaction sun shell were stripped out. funny today another one camr\e in with the same no reverse, second or fourth there is an updated sun shell with more rebust heat treated parts. reccomended repair per gm is to replace sun shell , reaction carrier thrust bearing, and thrust washer and the usual suspects pump gasket and seals new filter kit and fluid also flushing cooler. thanks for you guys input I will be picking your brains from time to time. laterz ragman

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.