Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4L60E - 2 Questions With Pics
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E - 2 Questions With Pics

I replaced the sun shell on my 98 silverado. While puting the trany back together I noticed a couple of wierd things, so I thought I would ask all you experts out there before I put the trany back in the truck.

Question #1:
While puting the valve body back together, I depressed each valve with my finger to make sure they were all working ok, when I noticed one of them did not spring back. I took that valve out to see what the problem was, and I realized the assembly was too short for the valve bore. It was just two parts and a spring kinda sliding around loose in there, with a plug cliped to the end. Here is a pic of the parts I took out of the bore:

I looked up the valve in the ATSG guide, and my parts were not the same. It said it was the "converter clutch signal valve". Here is a pic:

Gary showed me a thread where a guy was taking apart his 4L60E, so I went to go see what his valve looked like. His valve did not match mine, or the ATSG manual. Here is a pic of his valve:

So what does all this mean? Is this valve nessissary? What should I do? The trany ran fine before the sun shell broke...

Question #2:
While cleaning up the trany, I noticed a valve thingamajig that looked like maybe it fell out of alignment. Here is the location of the "valve thingamajig":

Here is a close up of it:

It's kinda hard to see, but there is a little plate in there with an off-center hole in it, and a depressable "valve thingamajig" below it. Is this the way it was designed? I just want to make sure because I would HATE to have to rip this trany out again!