Hot Rod Forum banner

4l60e

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  rickq 
#1 ·
I rebuilt this tranny about 100 miles ago and now when it goes into 3rd gear it does not hold, put scanner on and hooked up pressure gauge to it and it seems ok.

#6 ·
Did you rebuild the pump when you did tranny? What did you do to the tranny for a rebuild. Did you install the new seals? Any boost in preasure? The preasure seem low to me. I'm use to the 200 4r and preasurs in the 175- 225 range or higher. Usualy if the preasure is not good ore there is a leak the 3-4 clutches will with very few miles on them.

#7 ·
Yes I rebuilt the pump and put a 13 vane pump instead of the 10 vane,all new seals, new steels and clutches,new reverse drum,corvette servo,input shaft and drum, new solenoids, just about everything is new(could have bought a rebuilt cheaper)but what the hell,it was my first one!! the first hundred miles where great!!

#9 ·
You replaced plenty of parts. But you missed something.

The pressure should increase with throttle.

The PCS may be faulty. The AFL valve may be worn out.

Boost valve not fully installed in the pump

time to check a few items inside the pan

#8 ·
Sounds like your going to get more experience. Did you put a pressure gauge on it at first, and is it the same as now. I still think those pressures are to low. I rebuilt a 200 4r and my pressures are above 175 up to 225. Its possible that you may of left to much clearance in the clutch pack, or bad seal.

You should of gotten some pressure rise when the rpm's rose. That is why you could have a pump problem also

#12 ·
Were do you start? Your take the tranny back out and take it apart. I'm thinking that the 3-4 clutch pack it ruined. If so, that means that you didn't have enough preasure. IF those clutchs are bad, then i'd guess the rest of the clutchs are going to have to be looked at. Double check everthing, then check it again when you assemble. When i rebuilt my 200 4r I lined everthing up in order and rebuilt each section indilvidualy as i put it back together. Use a presure gauge when done. If this was your first rebuild, i'd suggest a vidio of that tranny. There alot of little things you have to do and remember to do or your going to have problems. I"m sure you were close, just remember to use the gauge because it'll tell you your problems. Don't feel bad, It took me a month to complete mine. Mline turned out good and I enjoyed it so much, I built another one forthe fun of it.

#13 ·
When I hooked up the scanner and checked the pressure at the different settings (1-10)it started at 60lbs and went as high as 175 at setting 6 then dropped to 60lbs for the rest of the test. I think you are right though, I will most likely pull it back out.thanks ps. I have the cd for rebuilding it.:)

#14 ·
when you get ready to rebuild it, take it apart first and see what is bad. I studied the tranny, 200 4r, for some period of time, as well as the net, and built mine with red clutches. Low reverse with standard 6 count, forword with 5 count instead of the stock four. Direct with 8 enstead of six, overrun with 3 enstead of two, and overdrive with 3 enstead of two. Us the wide band and bigger valves and I was ready to go. I think you can do some of that with the 700 also. I wasn't in any hurry becasue mine had a running 350 in it. I just wanted the overdrive.
buy the better clutches and it will last longer.

#15 ·
something i should of told you. Check the net for everthing of interest to you, and print it off. I added it to my collection and it turned out to be good reference material.
also air check your clutch packs as you put it back together and again after you complete it. :welcome: Patience is a virtue and keeping the assemble clean is also a big plus.

#16 ·
Odd the PSI reading drops off after hitting 175 then drops to 60.

Since you installed a 13 vane kit in the pump, what did you set the clearance at for the pump rotor? Usually .0015 is a good place to be at, no more than .002.

The pump cover ( often called 'stator support ) should be completely flat and smooth.

Still possible you have a faulty PCS , but you mention the solenoids were replaced. I take that to mean All electronics were replaced?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.