4l60e with 350 carb conversion? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e with 350 carb conversion?

Maybe someone has ran into something like this,I just built a wiring harness for a 1990 chevy 350 with the 700R4 tranny and stuffed it all into a 1946 Pontiac street rod for a friend,he has been driving this car around for about a year now,the tranny shifted great,the converter locked and unlocked when the brakes were applied,the passing gear worked great,well he just called me up telling me his tranny went out,and I guess his so called hot shot neighbor/mechanic told him the wiring harness is what burn't the tranny up(remember this was a used motor and tranny),this harness has a check engine light and it had no codes,everything on the harness worked great,but the neighbor talked him into pulling the harness I made out of the car,and they went to the wrecking yard and got the whole harness out of a car and the tranny,which was a 4L60,I believe it was a 1994 car,so he just called to tell me that they had installed the entire wiring harness,say's everything all plugged in great,and ask me if I could come over and give them a hand getting the car started,after putting the harness I built in this car,the first start,the motor turned over 4 or 5 rotations and started great,but he is telling me that the 4L60 will be easier to wire to his car,my question is will this tranny need something like a body module of tranny module to operate correct ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I moved your post to a new thread. Please dont ask new tech questions with in an old thread. usually Members will not see your new question.

Are you working with a 4L60E trans or a 4L60 trans on this project? There is a difference in controls on each of these transmissions
Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM

what is different,and if the year helps its a 1993 4L60 and the stock wiring harness out of a 1993 car their putting into the 46,or have put into the 46
Old 01-01-2014, 10:30 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Check out the MegaShift controller from Bowling and Grippo. Maybe not the cheapest solution at around $235 but it would do what you want and much more.

MegaShift - (c) 2004, 2012 Bowling and Grippo
Old 01-02-2014, 04:01 AM

what is it exactly,like a control module,but it sounds like I need to find out if the tranny is a 4L60 or a 4L40E,I just want to tell him if it's gonna cost a lot or not gonna work but before I do I want to know for sure,because I just a little upset about him pulling the wiring harness that I built for it,because I took my time,I has bought about 14 0r 15 rolls of auto wiring so I could match the color on every plug,then soldiered every wire and heat shrinked and put it all in wire looms,then I ohmed every wire before I put it in,and I live 50 miles from the car,I made the harness in my living room,off in my little corner in from of my computer,and when I installed it the only thing that didn't work was the wires to the transmission,I had to add about a foot,and when his neighbor told him to rip out the wiring because it was the fault of the tranny going out ,and every electrical part inside the tranny checked goog,it kinda pissed me off,thinking of all the work I did,never got paid,not even gas money,I just marked it up as a favor,you know what I mean,when you do a hard job that would cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars for someone,I spent 10 or 12 days building the harness and installing everything and then someone tells him it was not right and rip it out and he does,it kind pissed me off,then he calls me for help when they couldn't start the car after they installed a harness,I said O,O yeah I'll be right there,you just wait right there or me,Im leaving right now,that was three days ago,I haven't started my pick up yet,I got better things to do then go help this super genius,I would rather sit in my drive way and count the grains of sand,one cup at a time then help him again,but I would like to tell him the tranny wont work or tell him he needs to buy some 7 or 800 dollar part,thats my plan,this is the first time I did a harness for free,and the first complaint I ever got like this,I take a lot of pride when doing projects like this for people,and the only reason I did this one for free is because he didn't pay me,and instead of demanding the money of having problems and our friendship gets ruined,I figured it wasn't worth that,so I just let it go,until some nobody with a big shop and a few cars with nice paint tells him,that he bought like they are,tells him it was my fault,cut it all out and he does,and calls me to see if I had any secrets to why it wouldn't start,like that was my fault too,act like I have some switch hidden on the car or I put a voodoo curse on it,I just want to tell him he has to spend a lot of money or tell him it wont work
Old 01-02-2014, 04:07 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

A 4L60 is just a renamed 700R4 which uses a cable for correct line psi & shiftpoints.A 4L60E is an electronically controlled transmission that 1st used in trucks in 93 & cars in 94.The wire harnes for a 4L60E is totally different between the 2.The 4l60E will require a controller & the proper inputs & outputs from the engine to function.TPS,VSS,etc.If the trans came from a 93 car,it is a 700R4/4L60.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.